The Fridge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where no man has dared enter, lest they risk losing their mind.

2 posters

To Hunt a God

Jovan
    Jovan

To Hunt a God Empty To Hunt a God

Post by Jovan Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:05 am

There are many strange things to be found in this world, from cities that float in the sky to places where ash storms are a regular meteorological event. Would it be so strange a thought then that mortal men can ascend to godhood? It certainly isn't in the Lands of the Scar, a collection of realms held by ascended beings ever squabbling to achieve their goals, whether malignant or benign.

One such being earned his position by blood, treachery and usurpation. Whether it meant stealing a realm, a holy relic, or even a god's life to fuel his ascension, it mattered little to him. And so his quest for power brought him here, to the frozen north of the Hellgate, and Fel's Port on the southern coast of the island. His query? That which the Rasians would call "The king of the gods".

Numerous are the names attributed to Ilu, widely considered youngest of the born gods. Wandering god, Seeking god, He-Who-Remembers, He-Who-Endures, He-Who-Weeps, and countless others, yet the one common epithet assigned to this deity is "King", as for whatever reason the people all see this being as one worthy of the title. Whether this is due to the power of the god of memories or his popularity scholars find it hard to say, and it remains the stuff of conjecture to this day, and though he is greatly diminished since his descent, the power tied to the being is undeniable, for to the people he is the very memory of the world personified.

Yet this very power, coupled with the weakness of his manifestation, is precisely what attracted the attention of the god who claims undeath as his sphere, his goal either to claim the power for himself or ascertain the power of the deity if unable. He was never one to shy away from these things, things that bring him power, and soon enough he would see how useful the mortal crowned "king" would be to him.

And so this hunt has brought him to the Hellgate, for it is there that once a year, on the summer solstice and without a doubt, Ilu will appear in the Vale of Anguish, a desolate and volcanic place on the western side of the isle. All that remained was to confirm the Vale's location, and reach it in time so that he may capture his prey.
    Helidara
    Helidara

To Hunt a God Empty Re: To Hunt a God

Post by Helidara Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:21 am

This weather really is despicable Sliske thought to himself, yawning under his mask. Although, it's much more interesting than blindly hunting anima, so it has that going for it. Wearing his usual attire that would probably be considered uncomfortably clothed if he were anywhere but in Ras, his dense robes fared him rather well in the cold climate of this part of the Hellgate, his mask ensuring that his faced betrayed no emotion, assuming it still could.

Well, regardless of whether the weather is agreeable or not, some progress ought to be made, I suppose. It was at this moment that he decided to approach the nearest (and for the first time, living) creature he could see, and attempt to flag them down. "You, mortal. I request your assistance in finding something."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 pm

The guard sighed as he looked up at the man. Oh gods...another elven tourist. Great Mother if you are merciful, may the earth swallow me whole this instant that i may be spared this cruel and unusual punishment which you have wrought upon us:

"Yes me lord? The guard is always there to help our...betters. "Pardon me, for i am uneducated and unable to speak in your native tongue as only common is known to me." Fucking captain with his fucking demands. One small street riot when one of these tourists gets offended, just one! And now we have to fucking cater to their every whim...he really should thank the quartermaster for the visor, being forced to smile all the time would hurt.

Last edited by Jovan on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:28 am

"Common will do fine. And by the deepest pit of the hells stop belittling yourself like that, it's... quite disturbing." A sigh was the next thing that passed his lips, hoping that way of speaking was being forced on him and not his choice. "I'm just after directions. Can you either point me in the direction of.. the Vale of Anguish, I believe it's called, or at the very least, someone who can." Thinking to himself for a moment, he pulls out a few silver coins. "You will, of course, be imbursed for your efforts."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:56 pm

The guards eyes grow wide at the sight of the basilikon coins, and he was once again grateful for the helmet blocking people's views. Damn these tourists are annoying, but thank the gods for the ones who are rich and generous in addition to being crazy. Or just bad with money.

"Oh but of course noble lord, what are we if not humble vessels in service of our people?" the guard said, continuing before the deity could answer, "What your magnanimity seeks is either a guide or a map, though i would warn you that people tend to stay away from the ash wastes, nasty stuff lurks thereabouts and people find it an altogether unpleasant experience. You could probably buy a proper map from any merchant worth his salt though i'm not sure if you'll find a guide as easily. The Garrison conscripts most of the able trackers."
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:27 pm

Now I'm almost certain he's trying to annoy me with that speaking of his. "Your assistance is appreciated." Handing over the silver, though not before removing one of the coins, Sliske continued past the guard, and headed further into town. I suppose a guide may be out of the question, bar finding a convenient corpse along the way. Can't hurt to ask whilst purchasing a map, however. And so he moved on, looking for a store that carried a map to the Vale of Anguish.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:42 pm

Purchasing a map of the local area wasn't that difficult. Local garrison scouts, adventurers, and even the odd merchants seeking to trade with the less hostile tribes were never in short supply and after purchasing a map of the southwestern side of the island. The Vale was located relatively close to the center of the Ashlands, a vast expanse on the western coast of the island, rocky, volcanic, and pelted by the ash storms that give it its name, it was not a pleasant place to visit. Fortunately for the hunter, he wasn't a simple mortal, bound to conventional rules, and so the Ashlands would neither daunt him nor delay him in his quest.
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 am

"Stay close Linza." he uttered, to seemingly no-one in particular, before beginning to move onward once more. I'm not even sure what I'll be able to do when we find this thing, but at least with her I'll be safe from more immediate dangers. Maybe Ahrim would've been a better bring, what with his affinity to magic.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:25 am

The Ashlands of the Hellgate were a strange, even on the already unpleasant isle they were a location almost entirely devoid of life, an endless desert of red and grey. There was little change in the bleak landscape, the deity only having his magic and map to guide him to his destination, the ash having long since covered up any roads, if they ever existed. An eerie silence covered the place, the wind seemingly his only companion. Ash steadily fell down from the sky, providing the landscape with a sad beauty of sorts, as if to say there was once more to this place, the air itself hung heavily and drew from most creatures a longing for what was lost. Were he mortal, or perhaps just more caring, it would probably affect him as well though the place did feel amiss, even more so than the rest of the island, unsettling, yet not filled with dread.

Days went by in the shifting landscape, the howling wind accompanying the deity all throughout, what life there was around scurried away in fear and there was little change in the ash fall, the atmosphere growing more suffocating the further in he got, mortals would have a far more difficult time traversing this terrain, and the difficulty of it all was more than enough evidence as to few others attempted the journey to see the king of gods. The uneasiness grew in tandem with the ash fall, an anticipation of sorts, an expectation of the land to produce something, anything, as if there had to be more to this sad place than the wind.

Winding ash dunes gave way to crags and crevices, barren black rocks shaped by the elements twisting and turning around the heart of the land, the ash storms almost dancing around them, the wind and ash twisting between the formations, the howls turning to whistles, another melody of the wasteland. The uneasiness was heaviest here, a heavy disappointment that there is nothing here but ash and dust.

This heavy feeling followed him until he reached the entrance to the Vale of Anguish. As he walked through the narrow passage leading to it, a new sound reached him. Rustling. The sound underfoot revealed a most strange surprise as he found, of all things, grass. The wind blowing from the passage pushed into him and as he entered, the pathway opened up into the large valley, occupied by much more than grass. The Vale of Anguish, in a strange opposition to its name, was lush and green. Even the sky above seemed less cloudy, and no ash fell down from above, leaving the place untouched, an image of summer bounty, a display of life.

Stranger still, the uneasiness was lifted, mysteriously enough all that remained was a feeling of contentment, though this was so subtle that the effect itself was almost unfelt by the cold hearted god. But another thing was. Further into the Vale, an unmistakable thrum of power, almost radiating in droves, pulsating in waves and accurately providing him with the exact location of the King. Was he so arrogant to flaunt his power? It mattered little, his query was here, perfectly alone, so now was the time to choose what he would do.

Last edited by Jovan on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Odd. A single word was the only thing that came to mind to Sliske. Despite his years in the employ of the Empty Lord, he hadn't quite seen anything like this. Even Seren's rejuvenation of nature came from the lands surrounding it, such an oasis in the middle of the Scar would've been quite the feat. But is it magic keeping this alive, or devastating out there... A test, then. Sliske, reaching into his pocket, procured a small talisman under his symbol, very similar to the mask he was wearing, and buried it in the soil close by. Either the magic in the talisman will corrupt and wither the flora, or it'll be cancelled by the magic of the vale, if there is any. Content with checking the results on the way out, however, he continued onward, toward the thrum of power.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:53 pm

No man made path could be found in the Vale of Anguish, the best route seemed to follow the small brook that flowed among the trees, leading downwards until it reached the far end of the Vale, forming a small body of water from which the animals of this place drank.

There was a peaceful serenity about this place, it seemed more akin to the temperate forests of the south than anything that could be found in the cold north. The song of the birds, the babbling of the brook, the rustling of the leaves, they all filled the place with life, banishing the loneliness that was the essence of the lands beyond the Vale.

Further in, the thrum grew more powerful, the energy almost hitting in waves, like the rising tides. Whispers could be heard in the distance, growing closer and closer the further into the valley he went, and soon enough, it seemed as if he was surrounded by them, unintelligible and constantly shifting, the chorus reached its apex as he finally reached the other end of the Vale, roiling around him.

The trees opened up at the other end of the Vale, into a large field of verdant green, revealing another narrow passageway at its end from which the wind blew, the grass beneath dotted with lilies of the valley and white peonies, and for a moment the jingling of small bells joined the chorus of whispers, the wind rolling across the field and dispersing at the other end.

And there at the mouth of the passage stood his prey, the source of this power which radiated across the valley. The King of the Gods, it seemed, did not disappoint. Wreathed in shadows, the creature before him pulsated with energy, the shadows spinning into themselves and dancing at his feet. It turned its face towards him, a mask that gleamed with a pale white light, etched with grooves and only two holes to represent the eyes. Above the King's brow danced orbs of glowing light, his crown, resplendent and a stark contrast to the rest of the shadowy being.

"Did you truly have to place that thing into the earth of this place?" the voice echoed around him, mournful but carrying a great authority withal, as if the god's power could not help but cling to his words, "Does it matter whether it is the Vale or the Sorrow of the Ash when this place never could have harmed you?"

A sadness hung in the air as the god asked this. If anything, Ilu gave a new meaning to wearing one's emotion on one's sleeve, "Still, here you are", the air shifted, the sadness dissipating as the atmosphere of the place returned to normal, "Covetous and hungry, slaves in toe. So i shall ask a question that needs no asking but must still be asked. Why?"
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 pm

"Curiosity, if nothing else." Sliske said, starting to pace around the creature, trying to get a clear view of the entire manifestation. "I'll take the trinket back when I leave, it was, after all, only placed to answer a question."

"Although, speaking of questions, I'm intrigued as to a few things, one of which is how you could see Linza. The other is, of course, where you manifest from. Whilst the wights I create draw their power from... a borrowed realm, my main wonderance comes from where your 'mind', if you will, resides."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

"Curiosity?" the air around the deity shuddered. Even from several different angles light seemed to bend around the god, giving him a look of transience, the orbs of light above his head almost giving off the impression that the light is that which gives the deity form, "That isn't even as cruel as it is foolish."

The air grew tense around the being, "But what am i to expect of you mortals?" Ilu took a step towards him, the world feeling heavier, "You do love finding the most sadistic and difficult of paths to answering the simplest of questions."

Ilu outstretched his hand towards the god, "But everything comes with a price. Tell me, meek one, are you ready to pay it if it means satisfying your curiosity? If so you need but touch, and you shall see." he then tilted his head to the side, "But am i as cruel as you? Is it a trap, or is the answer so easily obtained? Questions questions, always more beyond each door."
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:20 pm

"Of course it's a trap. But, no answers are obtained without sacrifice." Sliske motioned his hands together, creating a small, green symbol, before tossing it to his side as it vanished into the air. "Security, if you will." And, with that, he touched Ilu's outstretched hand.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:17 pm

"Such certainty", the world shifted as power poured forth from one to the other, shadows moving about, enveloping the cavern and taking them both farther and farther away. The whispers could be heard clearly now, in some cases they were just normal conversations, in others still single words. Ilu faded into the shadows, leaving his guest all alone, "You wonder how i know, how i am. I am no being such as yourself, born of flesh, nor am i as the born gods of energy, a mere creature of the elements."

The grove came into view again, the trees glowing softly, "I am the trees, the rock and stone, the river underneath, the mighty who stride upon the grass and the weak who live bellow it."

Everything began to spin all at once, the deity's guard radiating from beyond, "I am that vessel you carry, broken and enslaved, yet never forgotten."

The terrain shifted again, the god's old master appearing, almost radiating the same power he used to have, "I am the master you looked up to, the same one you betrayed."

This time it shifted to his master's twin sibling, "I am his sister that you love."

"The one who overthrew him." the chaotic god that overthrew his master smirked.

"The very land that you shattered." He was there again, bathed in destruction, the land around him breaking apart into a thousand pieces.

"And the one you killed." the god he killed to ascend touched his face, "Even as regret consumed you."

"I. Am. You." the memories of these people and places flooded his mind, unbidden yet unstoppable, even the feelings seemed fresh, as if the events had happened but moments ago.

Yet power, as much as connections, works both ways, and he was no pushover in this department. For he sought the origin of this so called king, and the reason for his manifestation, and by his will he would find it, which is exactly what happened as other visions flooded him, ones the god had not meant for him to see.

The vision around him was blurred, heavy, but he could none the less see it. A tree, and two figures beneath it. One glowing a divine energy, pure and powerful and shining like the sun, yet bearing the unmistakable mask that was Ilu's face. The way the god manifested seemed young, perhaps as the other gods saw in him the youngest, a mere child, so his appearance changed to fit that? Or rather it did before his manifestation.

The figure he was talking to was unpleasant, even to his eyes. A blurred shadow, it reeked of blood and death, and every moment looking at it only instilled further revulsion at the sight of it. Above its head hung the "crown" that adored Ilu as he was made manifest, glowing light, soft and calm. Yet no power came off this being, it was, without a doubt, both weak and pathetic.

"There is no going back once we do this. Are you still certain?" the tingling of bells followed his voice, and as Ilu spoke the world seemed happier, more at peace.

"I am." his companion's voice by comparison was grating and twisted, a pain ringing out as it spoke, "There is no hope for me, but what little good i can do, i will. I will follow you, little one. Until the end."

The creature extended its hand, blood falling onto the floor and the smell of rot spreading in the air. Ilu offered his hand in turn, the world shattering as they shook, "Until the end."

The world changed again. This time he felt only pain, constant searing and unending. Everything around him was burning. Even his heart ached, as if his guilt had been multiplied a thousandfold at that moment. This was all wrong, so very wrong. His ears rang and everything was spinning, the world around him coming to as a greater ringing could be heard all around him. Bells. Hundreds, maybe even thousands, all around him. For a moment he was surrounded by stone and screams as fire engulfed him, before finally settling down onto a green field, stretching to the horizon. But the ringing and the pain still followed, a weak voice accompanying them, "Please, i don't want to die."

The ringing intensified as more voices called out, all begging and pleading, melding into each other so much they became incomprehensible, "We don't want to be-" an arc of energy struck him at that point, forcing him out of the vision and separating him from Ilu, tossing him to the ground.
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Linza, hidden to the eye until now, stared at the remains of her master, still smoking from the blast that rended the body. Silently, aside from the jingling of her armour, she started to stretch her hand toward open air, slowly watching as it began to disappear into a small circle of green energy, pulling out the small icon that Sliske had thrown into it moments ago. With force, she shoved it into the body of Sliske, and watched as the stored power within the icon returned to the body, what the blast destroyed returning to existence.

"That was rather rude." Sliske, mostly reformed, had begun to speak again, climbing back to his feet. "And I don't just mean the blast. The poking around in the head, that was rude. I am... curious, as much as you seem to hate that word, as to the event I saw, however, if you'd be willing to elucidate."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:52 pm

The air turned cold around the deity, "You do not know hate, sad creature. And if the reason for my anger is not evident i pity you all the more, yet pity does not excuse your sins, nor does it wash them away." the energy emanating from him began to crackle, "And i already deigned to answer your first queries despite your acts, consider that kindness enough."

Ilu turned, the world returning to normal as he did, "I do not have all day to answer your questions, i have lost enough time as it is. Leave and take that horrendous thing you embedded into the earth with you. Today matters to me far more than your kind could ever understand."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 pm