The Fridge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where no man has dared enter, lest they risk losing their mind.

2 posters

Faith and Fate

Jovan
    Jovan

Faith and Fate Empty Faith and Fate

Post by Jovan Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:39 pm

It was a cold day in Velzna, though in many ways cold days had been the norm as of late, ever since the region of Tyrsenia fell to the Vaherians. Almost all of their cities had fallen to the enemy, occupied and kept in a strange limbo, neither citizens of Vaheria nor a part of their nation. Allowed special "privileges", all for the sake of preventing temporary revolts, in so much as they kept their status but were barred from leaving unless they "took up citizenship", it was little wonder that no one accepted a citizenship that would see them gain freedom of movement in return for being fully subjected to the tyranny of the foreigners.

Cold days indeed, for a strange stasis had taken a hold of the land, for as their Empire held its breath as war waged, Tyrsenia was the one place that still held that breath in, waiting as the unsustainable situation of the Vaherian occupation escalates. This "special" status wouldn't last long, confiscations of the property of the richest people who fled had already occurred, and under the guise of "ecological efficiency" the Vaherians had started building or taking over factories, doing their best to integrate the economy of the nation without ruffling too many feathers.

Yet there was one thing that in many ways mattered much more when it came to the people of Tyrsenia, and that was religion. Not just religion but culture as a whole, for a mixture of wealthy ruralism and healthy ties between the estates and cities had kept the old traditions alive and well, instilling within the Rasna a sense of pride that made winning over their temples and celebrations the key to winning over their hearts.

And therein one could point out the fly in the ointment, as it were, for the majority of the priests had evacuated the region, working in exile, trapped outside their home, still fighting the fight for freedom. Those who remained were either too stubborn, too old, or both, to care about a foreign invasion, and so the Vaherians cleverly chose to placate this beast until later, slaying the dog they wished to tame when they no longer needed it. And for this they needed support of the next highest ranking person who remained in the province, as winning them over would grant them much needed legitimacy and much more importantly, support and control among the people.

So came Velzna into the picture. In the southernmost section of Tyrsenia, quite near the heavily guarded and even more so heavily contested border, sat this relatively little town, but to the Rasna it bore great importance, as it housed the grove and temple of their national deity, Veltha, now long since swallowed by the town, akin to a heavily forested park, here the greatest new year celebrations of the Tyrseni happened, and while the priest of Veltha was neither the head priest nor the most influential, they still had a great amount of influence with the people, even more so now that they were one of the few priests left in the province.

Dark clouds covered the sky as Teitu, high priest of Veltha, finished the morning ceremonies. Wanting to avoid letting the cold in any further, as the people left the temple he and what few aides went about cleaning the altar and closing the windows and doors. The old man wiped his wrinkled brow of perspiration, his cleanly shaven head glistening in the light as he went about his business. His hands shook, no longer steady, indicating his advanced age, and yet he went about fixing the place up, slowly but surely he moved about the temple, wondering whether the day ahead would be any better come the mid day rituals.

Last edited by Jovan on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Faith and Fate Empty Re: Faith and Fate

Post by Esdragon Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:56 pm

A car drove quickly towards the temple. Ploughing the empty roads.

"Did you read the files?"

"Yes my lord."

"Good you'll do the honour of translating. Chauffeur we are here!" the cars stops in front of the temple. The first man to get out of the car was a chubby well dressed man, with wrinkles all over his face and a beard. Followed by a much younger man who wore a much simpler attire of a shirt and trouser. The older man who seemed to be a noble took out a suitcase from the car.

"Well then let's go in" The old man entered the temple first followed by the younger man. They saw the bald man cleaning up the altar. The noble cleared his throat loudly to attract attention, giving a confident posture. The younger man seemed to be more timid in his posture looking around respectfully at the altars.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:19 pm

The old man had just finished gathering all the instruments and implements used in the ritual onto a silver platter as he heard someone clearing his throat.

"Greetings good folk", he started in Rasenian, "gods be with you, how may i be of assistance?"
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:47 pm

The young men turned and whispered to the noble some words. The noble replied back in Vaherian "greetings gentlemen." Which led the interpreter to translate the words.

After repeating what he sighed and said in a Rassenian with an Oldavian accent . "It is also a pleasure for me to be here."

The noble quickly chimed in . "Can we please speak about something important your holiness." The Oldavian man translated the sentence to the priest.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:16 pm

"Holiness? I am but a humble vessel of the will of the gods, holiness is a epithet
    of other religions. But please, speak", the old man said, taking a piece of cloth to wipe his hands, "All is laid bare before the gods."
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:55 pm

"Could we please go somewhere more private? What we are going to talk about is not to be heard by anyone outside us three." the interpreter repeated the words in Rasenian. The noble started to wiggle slightly the suitcase trying to attract the priest's interest.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:01 am

The old priest raised an eyebrow at the two before replying: "Very well then, if that is what you wish. Follow me please." he said, leading them out of the temple and to a small building to the side, the office of the local priests as it were. Into the building and up some stairs they went before entering his own office, the old man closing the door behind them as he took out a small kettle and began filling it with water from the side, "I hope the privacy of this room will suffice, so what is it you wanted to ask?" he went on, putting a plug in electric stove, "Tea?"
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 am

The nobles shook his head, but the interpreter nodded "yes please." The noble opened the suit case . Inside it , there was a large amount of documents and papers. The noble spoke up

"We are here to talk about the future of your religion in Tyrsenia. Take a look at the documents first please." He pointed at the papers as the interpreter translated the whole sentence. Looking back uneasy. Inside the paper were the proposal of making the region's local faith of Tyrsenia, the offer of funding, the cessation of Vaherianist proselytizing , the building of temples and the invitation into local politics. Within the paper there was Charles signature and of the interior minister Felix Valon.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:23 am

Handing the interpreter a cup, Teitu opened a drawer on his desk, his shaking hands slowly rifling through it before taking out a case for glasses, opening it in turn and shakily placing the spectacles upon his face. He then proceeded to place the papers on the desk before reading them, the silence of the moment stretching out as he read each and every bit, his eyes narrowing slightly as he reached the end.

"And am i to assume the sentient ball of gas that leads your nation is about to declare free elections as well? What's the catch?"
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:50 am

The interpreter turned his eyes to the noble, stiffening his neck. "He wants to know what are the terms.." the noble widened his eyes taken by surprise with the priest bluntness.

The noble smirked for a minute before opening his mouth. "Well all that is required from you is just that you would need to let's say. Alternate your ways."

Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 am

"And that would imply?" the priest raised his eyebrow. Gods, it's like those cheesy mafia movies from southern Vitelia.
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:19 am

The man spoke back after the interpreter translated. "Well....to start off. You will be made as head of your faith in the whole Holy imperium, but this means you will have to join the council of the faiths, which will require your religion to ..adapt new rhetoric."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 am

"Get to the point boy, i haven't got all day." the priest replied, perplexed, "State all your demands rather than coyly giving them all one by one."
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am

The interpreter shrugged turning back to the noble. The noble after being translated to words coughed before uttering

"You will start encouraging "moral" values, such as chastity, loyalty, diligence and duty. You will join the holy imperial clergy campaign against the "modern" and cosmopolitan threats such as feminism, homosexuality, liberalism and all of the sort. You will start encouraging loyalty to the Holy imperium for the followers of the faith and you will start condemning any attack on the government. You will also need to allow your followers to join the inquisition if they want so. And the most important of all, Secure for all us here. Peace for the Rasenian, peace for the Vaherians and Rilentians, peace for Esdragon." The interpreter translated back the worst , be it he smoothed the speech a bit.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:34 pm

"So essentially..." the old man stood up, hands shaking due to his advanced age, "You want me to become the lard's mouthpiece?" he walked over to a window, turning his back on the two men, looking at the barren trees bellow, stricken by autumn, swaying in the wind as gray clouds roiled over the sky. He probably couldn't stay for too long, "And if i refuse?"
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 pm

The interpreter looked back, questioningly moving his head and saying "He wants to know what would happened if he said no?"

The noble gave a muted laugh "Well none of us would like to know that. Trust me, his majesty can be...quite mercurial."

Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:56 pm

The priest sighed, "Do you know why Velzna is important to my people, little man?" he looked towards the Vaherian man, eyes narrowing.
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:12 pm

The interpreter seemed embarrassed and translated the priest's phrase excluding the "little men".

The noble had to avoid rolling his eyes. "Yes i know the reason why it is important for your people. And it is also important for us. We want you and your people to prosper under our leadership. We are not the enemy...." he paused " But if you were to reject us...We won't be able to help you or protect you."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

"Really? Why is it important then? Tell me, why is it worth protecting?" the priest looked to him, "Why does it take primacy among all our cities?"
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 pm

After being translated the noble replied

"Your nation , your culture , our people. Are now under our jurisdiction. I understand that you would view us as barbarians from the north, who seek to exterminate your kind. But we seek to help you, we want your people to prosper to lessen the burdens on our economy, to make so that the young men and women who are patrolling your streets can return home and found families and live happy lives in Vaheria or Oltenburg. So that your people will feel at home and safe."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:58 pm

"I shall take that as a no then." the priest looked at the two men, unblinking, before he removed a small tack from his drawer, placing it on the table, "Once a year, every year, the representatives of all the Rasenian cities, every last one to have been a part of the old League of Tyrsenia, gather in Velzna, in the great temple of watchful Nercia, consort of Veltha, our noble patron. Therein the high priest of the goddess of fate hammers a bronze nail into the wall of the temple. It sets our destiny into stone."

His eyes shined at the two men, a revealing glint, "Can you comprehend that? The fate of an entire people. It is our way of telling the gods that we are here. To speak to the very heavens themselves and to prove that our people did not die, did not fade into obscurity. This city matters because this is the place where we shout to the world that we are here. However..." he looked down, "There can be no ritual this year. The High Priest of Nercia fled, along with the others, south towards what few Tyrsenian cities you do not hold."

The old man sighed, taking the papers and arranging them together, taking his pen and with a click putting it to the paper, "And yet," the pen was unmoving, no signature escaped the priest's hand, "You've inspired me in a way." the old man continued, putting the pen down before standing up, papers in hand, walking over to the old stove where he had made tea.

"Almost all the other priests are gone. But what are they to the glory of the heavens above? Nercia expects, nay demands, an answer. And i suppose a priest of her consort will just have to do this year. Because i've realised something." he continued, turning the stove on, "This isn't just about the world of gods, or even the physical world. This is about you, people like you and the world you wish to bring about. The ritual will happen." he placed the papers over the stove, fire consuming them.

"The ritual this year will be dedicated especially to you." the old man twisted his tongue, the words that followed barely coming to him, rough and course and heavily accented Rilentian, "Screw pig Charles."
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:37 pm

The interpreter stiffened , glancing over to the noble who gave a simple polite nod. He stood up from his chair before saying. "I wish that the gods may bless your excellency.I must alas leave you since I have no business here. Farewell"

The interpreter barely had the time to translate it before following the noble who stormed out of the room and headed out for the door. The two left the temple as the chauffeur headed out of the car and opened the door for them. As the two entered and the chauffeur drove off. The interpreter spoke first timidly. "I am sorry to ask this question and i don't want to appear rude or anything ...but what is..."

"Nothing will happen , after all . Aren't we all free to have our own opinion , even if they are foolish." The noble gave a smug look before patting the interpreter in the back. "You did a good job, and you tried your best. You'll be fine as normally you should be able to receive a wage increase for the job."

The interpreter eye's widened with a hint of hope and reassurance. "Thank...you...i cannot thank for such an honour sire."

"No need to. You barely did a service for the nation. You deserve the honour." The car drove away from the town....
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 pm

"I...might have overreacted..." the priest wondered as he tossed the burning contract into a sink and turned the water on before sitting down.

"Then again i got him to say gods plural. Small victories." he opened his drawer and took out a nail, "I may just have started a war i will lose. Gods forgive my blasphemy in presuming Veltha's priest could be Nercia's. But when one faces greater sacrilege one must act in defense of the most pure and holy."

He twirled the nail around, "Important to them too? This little town? The gods will not abide sycophants, least of all ones who wish to distort their divine will." the nail gleamed as he set it down on the table, "Truly i am getting old if i can hold up a conversation this long with myself. I'm just trying to justify declaring war on the invaders in the end." he sighed, "But such is the will of the gods, and one does not go against Fate. Especially when one rushes in like a blind old fool."

The next day came same as the first. He would have to contact all the other priests and set up arrangements for the Ritual, he will probably even have to convince some of them to attend, the ones who decide he presumed too much, for all were too old or too stubborn to be afraid of attending for fear of angering the invaders.

"Larth, contact the other priests of the city, i wish to speak to them, after that inform the priesthoods of the other great cities that i wish to speak in regards to an urgent matter with them too." he turned towards one of his attendants.

"Yes sir. In regards to what will the meeting be?"

"The issue of the invaders."

"Your worship...are you certain now is the best time to bring this up?"

"Far too late, as they were already here yesterday to discuss things with me and i fear they will probably try the same tune with the others soon enough. Therefore we will outpace them."

"As you wish." he inclined his head slightly before departing to go make the necessary calls.

"Now, on to the rituals of the day." he mused, preparing to go about with the daily cleansing and sacrifice before performing the other rites.
    Esdragon
    Esdragon

Post by Esdragon Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:58 am

Inquisitors were talking to a group of people in work suits pointing at a map in a room filled with computers and . "So this where the priest lives?" the man questioned.

"Yes sire." one of the inquisitors nodded, pointing at a switch.

"So i guess this will shut the important needs into his house?" the workers looked at each other and nodded. "Good, shut it." the workers stood quietly, looking reluctant moving closer to the switch. Shutting it down. The inquisitors nodded once again "Well looks like we're done. We'll be back soon. We hope our interruption was brief, may you all go back to work for his holy majesty." The inquisitors gave a salute heading out the door.

The two left the room taking a few minutes to walk outside the building into their car. "Bernado shall i monitor them?"

"Yeah and i'll organise the monitoring of the priest and his neighbourhood, after we don't want him to take refuge in other people's house."

"Should i ring the inquisitorial bureau to allow us to detain people we deem fit?"

"Yeah i think it might needed" Bernado started to start the car as the other agent rang the bureau

"Yes here, its Dragon 552 calling..."

------------------------
    A voice could be heard on the phone speaking a priest

"Words have reached my ears that one of your priest is intending to host a meeting. So I rather recommend not to attend it, such meeting will be host inflammatory discourse which will threaten the order and peace. You are asked to refuse such invitations for your own sake, since attending such meeting. Will complicate the situation for the both of us." the inquisitor hung up before leaving a chance for the priest to answer to answer. He crossed out a name from a list that had many names across it with the numbers of the people.

The cacophony of phone rings could be heard beside the inquisitor as others were ringing, repeating vaguely the same words as the man did to their receivers, and quickly hanging up. The inquisitor , scratched his eyes, being tired before sighing. "still plenty to do..." he started to ring the next name on the list.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:14 am

"A priest?!" one of the workers semi-shouted, "They're insane, they'll bring divine wrath upon us all!"

"Don't. Touch. A single. Lever." his superior replied, "I know you can be more ardent when it comes to serving the gods but we must not give them reason to start arresting us all."

"Still." a third chimed in, "Gods or no gods, harassing an old man? This is...not exactly the right thing to do."

"What do you expect from a bunch of savages and blasphemers?" the first started in again, "Usil protect me this isn't just blasphemy, it's tempting Fate!"

"Why are they bullying an old man? It's just a priest." a fourth asked, "Do Vaherians have nothing better to do than bully harmless old men?"

"Harmless! Touching a vessel of the gods is equivalent to calling their wrath upon you!" the first started again, looking upwards and muttering more silent prayers.

"Unless the gods don't exist." the fourth replied, "Though the point still stands that bullying an old man is just silly. This occupation keeps getting more hellish."

"Enough." the superior raised his voice, "We can do nothing for him for now. Stand by your stations and continue your work as normal. I don't want it to be held over me if they decide to start punishing any of you for talking too much. For now we shall be patient and do our duty as best we can. If they come in again wanting to...fiddle with the controls again, let them. So long as it's all recorded for the safety inspectors. If any questions come in, divert the calls to me, i'll handle it.

"Oh, and one more thing", he turned to his second, "When i say divert, i mean divert. That's an official order. Pick up papers in my office once you're done. And i've changed my mind, you can have a day off for your kid's birthday. The occupation is unpleasant enough as is, best to be with family then."

"What do you mean until further notice?" Teitu asked, exasparated.

"As per orders from the Inquisitors. They've given no specific order as to not to touch the controls again or how to handle this entire situation but i have the men working under me to think about. I hope you can understand."

Teitu sighed, "It...it is fine my child. The safety of the people comes first and it is my fault in the first place for provoking them. Veltha keep you."

"Of course, thank you for your understanding." the superior sighed before stacking the papers and separating the documents, his second coming in and picking up the relevant ones, "Take an early leave. Go be with your family. You can handle the documents at home." he looked at him before sighing.

"Thanks boss. And don't let this occupation business worry you too much." he patted him on the shoulder, "We'll weather it like any storm. I'll tell the wife and kids you said hi."

"I shall do the same. Wish your girl a happy birthday."

"Will do!"

"Have the other priests been informed?"

"They have...and...well almost all of them said yes."

Teitu turned around, raising an eyebrow, "They...what?"

"Apparently they've...all had notifications...advising them not to attend a meeting to which they will be invited."

"Good and bad." Teitu balled his fists together, "On one hand all but the remaining cowards will attend, but on the other this along with the incident regarding my utilities means that they're taking this war rather seriously. Take this." he gave the attendant several documents, "I've prepared copies, all hand written now that those people have cut my power. Forgive the shaky hand. Distribute it to the other attendants."

"Yes your worship." the attendant bowed before scurrying off.

"Very well then invaders." he turned towards the statue of Veltha, stoic and cold, "War it is."

The people that came to attend the afternoon ceremonies were treated to quite a sight, as Teitu was washing himself, robes and all, with the temple hose.

"High priest...are you...feeling alright?"

"Why yes, quite alright, nice autumn chill we have coming in, no?"

"Are you...certain? Would it not be unhealthy to bathe with cold water in the temple garden?"

"Ah yes, but alas the Inquisition has ordered that all my utilities be shut off, and as we are all dogs before the invaders, i'm afraid i must comply and bathe like one."

This solicited murmurs from the small crowd of parishioners, "That's outrageous! I'll call the authorities myself!" another started.

"No need good child." Teitu halted him, "Words do not work against the deaf. And there is no need. I feel...reconnected to the great Veltha, after all this is the source of the water we use to purify the shrine, what makes it unfit for a lowly priest? And you would get in trouble. For now consider yourself at peace."

"At least let us help you your worship." a third chimed in, "Come to my home if you lack heating, a man of your age should not be bathing with cold water in this chill!"

The situation turned slightly chaotic then, as the crowd started jockeying for who would house the priest, Teitu calming them all again, "The offer enough warms my heart dear child. But i suppose you're right. I am, just a weak old man after all." he lowered his head sighing, "Weak against the perils of this world. Thank the gods for good people such as yourself, who seek to help your fellow believer. Truly it would take a truly unholy being to look ill upon any of you."

As one of them came forth to cover the old priest with his jacket he smiled, both on the inside and outside. War indeed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:51 am