The Fridge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where no man has dared enter, lest they risk losing their mind.

The Conductor

Mystral
    Mystral

The Conductor Empty The Conductor

Post by Mystral Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:55 pm

"Xelha, like most places in the world, has its own share of weird or unknown events. Most are passed off as fables and myths, or the truth eventually comes out, sometimes years later. One such mystery revolves around the Kolo Siblings of 1959. The story goes that the Kolo siblings and Lady Oz went into Blizzaria Palace in an attempt to force the then High Queen Yuki to abdicate. Most tales say that they intended to assassinate her. Some say they were going to hold Sakura Blizzarin ransom until they got their wishes. Whichever version of the story you believe, the ending is always the same. The twins and Lady Oz met their ends within the walls of Blizaria Palace.

Many suspected the High Queen, but she was elsewhere at the time of their deaths. Reportedly vacationing in Sayam, trying her best not to melt, thus dismissing her as a suspect. There were four servants remaining in the palace during the High Queen's absence. All four reportedly said they did nothing to the siblings. And indeed the Chrysanthemums, or as they were properly called back then, the Imperial Guard found them in the palace brig. Meaning only one person walked into the palace on that fateful Friday and walked back out. Sakura Blizzarin.

The young child of about eight years, when questioned said she only heard screams. Lady Oz had kept her drugged for most of the weekend to keep her from running off and escaping. Over the years they tried many methods to ascertain what happened during that 48 hour period one Autumn in Blizzaria. But to no avail. Sakura would not share with any councilor what transpired at the palace. And so, as with all things, rumours swirled. Some said it was a vengeful spirit, a Lumiskyr, who came to kill those who would harm a child. Some said it was Solara herself come to defend her mortal representation in High Queen Yuki. Still others just said it was a series of unfortunate events. The events, relegated to the forgotten annals of history, a footnote to the ascension of High Queen Yuki and the re-emergence of Xelha as a regional force.

However, there is always that one person who will not let stories die until science has had the final say in it. That one person who connects past with present with the truth. I suspect if you are watching this, you are one of those people. One of those who seek the truth through a foggy haze. If you are one such person, then you should know that one other person walked into the palace that day. Prime Minister Katerina Novus. If you wish to seek the truth out, from there you must start."

The speaking came to an end and the recording ended. In the darkness of the room, the listener smirked to herself. This would be the rewriting of history, one where the victor becomes the hero, and the defeated becomes the villain. They held a piece of wrapping that said 'It's 2019 use Blu-Rays,' their smirk widening to a grin. They would never see it coming, until it was far, far too late.
    Mystral
    Mystral

The Conductor Empty Re: The Conductor

Post by Mystral Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:56 pm

There was a light dusting of snow, that early morning. Quiet too, election results had come out the day before and most people were either recovering from the celebratory parties... or the pity parties, for those who lost. Not that Xelha needed a reason to be quiet on a Sunday. Most enjoyed a day to sleep in anyways. Still, there is some movement, even on this morning. Past Avalon Street, before you get to the Beacon District. The houses morph from small one storey brick houses and begin morphing into two storey buildings with gardens and play areas in the back. The boundary fences are starting to morph into hedges, though not the tall, well manicured versions they will become just over Lighthouse Lane when you jump to the Beacon District. It is here, on Millia Street, there are four houses in a row. A stretch the locals colloquially refer to as Novus Row. The stretch of road where the Novus Family has lived since the 1800s. It is here, in the second house that our story continues, as the Seeker knocks on the door.

An elderly lady answered the door, dressed in a floral designed dress with black glasses. her short cut brown hair was starting to thin. "Oh, hello sweetheart, it has been a while since I've seen you in these parts. Came to visit Kallie? I'm afraid she's not in the best moods to talk at he moment."

"No, actually I'm here to ask you a few questions," the Seeker responded.

"Oh? Well come in. Would you like some tea? When you get my age you need to keep out of the cold and keep warm. Keep the little aches and pains at bay y'know."

"I'll pass on the tea, I shouldn't be here that long."

"Always on the run you've been," the lady said as she shook her head and closed the door once the Seeker had walked in. "Always trying a new plan to see if it will work."

"I have a question for you. We were digging around in the Royal Archives, and we came across this recording that said Katherine Novus might have some information on what happened during the Kolo Killings in 1959."

The woman blinked a few times before pointing to her left, "If you want to speak with the dead, mum is buried in the cemetery over yonder."

The Seeker sighed, "I know she's dead, but did she ever tell you anything about that day?"

The woman pushed the bridge of her glasses up a little and looked at the Seeker. Their face not betraying their feelings, or at least, neither party seemed to believe the other knew what they were thinking. The elderly woman moved towards her rocking chair and sat down, she put her hands in her lap and looked out the window. "Mum never really spoke of that day. She said she had been called into the office to oversee the safeguarding of Sakura Blizzarin. She said that Walter had been edgy that day when she went to retrieve Sakura, but other than that it seemed fine." She paused a moment and looked back to the Seeker. "Why do you try to unbury ghosts? The nation seems fine with the story as it is."

"Because the truth should be told," the Seeker responded. "It's better late justice than no justice at all."

"I see," the elderly lady said as she turned to look out the window. She put her arms on the chair arms and slowly began rocking herself. "Mum said that Sakura mentioned seeing her earlier in the week, which wasn't completely an unusual recollection as both Sakura's parents were involved in politics. What was strange was what Sakura did not see. Sakura says she only saw mum only drink one cup of cocoa. Mum, until the day she died, drank at least four. Why the child insisted she only saw one is a great mystery, but there is one why may be able to shed light on it for you. Sakura's granddaughter, Azura. The two were very close. Closer even than me and Kallie. Perhaps she knows more." She stopped rocking her chair and looked down at the ground. "Sometimes, when Azura looks at the mountains, you can see it in her eyes. She maybe young like you, but behind those eyes, she has experienced things far beyond her tender years. The ice in her eyes isn't from the snow capped mountains, its from something locked deep inside her."

"I see..." the Seeker said as they got up to leave. "You have been most helpful. I will seek out Azura. Have a good day Miss Nina."

"You too young one," Nina responded as the door opened and closed. Nina put her hands in her lap, her eyes glazing over as she lost herself in thoughts, only to be disturbed a few moments later. She looked up to see her granddaughter Kallie walk in. "Your friend was here a short time ago, asking about your grandmother."

"What an odd topic to ask about...." Kallie said as she hung up her coat. "I'm more surprised they didn't stay longer. I'd have expected at least that amount of decency out of them."

"Me too... but you know how their mind never settled. Always thinking of the next move, always thinking ahead. Only the gods know how they managed to stay forcused and get anything done at all."

"Indeed...." Kallie mused. "Indeed...."
    Mystral
    Mystral

Post by Mystral Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:56 pm

A cold winter breeze whipped across the mountain pass as snow crunched beneath the Seeker's boots. They tightened their scarf a bit more around their lower face and neck as wind threatened to create a whitened haze around them. Just as the swirling winds began to make them think of turning back, a dark outline appeared, almost as if rising out from the mountain itself. They looked down to see other footprints, about their size heading towards the shadow. Soon, the shadow morphed into a wooden cabin, a single light could be seen through the window, but what they were after was the person standing just outside. Hands in a blue long coat, a woolen cap with a snowflake design with flaps that covered her ears. She motioned for the Seeker to hurry up towards them to which the Seeker obliged and hasted their steps towards the figure who opened the door and ushered them inside.

"This is a surprise," Azura said as she banged the excess snow off her boots. "I wouldn't have thought I'd have visitors this time of year up here."

"I'm only here for a pressing matter, one that I hear you may have pertinent information on." The Seeker paused a moment, taking in a deep breath before proceeding with their statement. "It's about the Deaths of the Kolo Siblings in 1959. I heard your grandmother may have shared some information with you. Can you give it to me that I might be able to find out the truth for myself?"

Azura looked at the Seeker a moment. Her black eyes looking over the Seeker, scanning, as if trying to locate something deep within their soul. Breaking eye contact, she moved over to a kettle and poured some hot water into a mug that read 'Allied Local Physical Education Supporting Team Reliant Experience'. She said nothing as she stirred the contents in her cup and took a sip. A weak smile formed on her face as she continued looking into the mug, "Grandma used to tell me many stories. She told me about the mess that was the early stages of High Queen Yuki's reign and the political circus that resulted in the Kolos being exiled." She took another sip of her tea before lowering the mug and holding it about waist height, her right hand on the handle, her left hand cupped beneath it. "I heard from Nina Novus what you want, but on what ground are you trying to find it? What spurred this sudden interest in a past event, long relegated to Xelhan Mythos?" she added in a cold voice that made the Seeker shiver just a bit.

"I discovered a recording at the Royal Archives," the Seeker spoke. "The voice is not one that I recognize, but it claimed that there was more to the story than has been told. And I intend to uncover it for the sake of Xelha and her people, that if a slight has been committed, then it shall be corrected."

Azura brought her mug to her lips and took another swig at her tea. Once she was finished, a grin spread across her face as she returned the mug to its previous position. "There is a saying, that liars need a good memory, but those who know the truth need good shoulders. Are you honestly willing to shoulder the burden you seek? You realize that should the weight be cut loose and you not able to bare it, you would be crushed underfoot. Another footnote, in Xelha's long history of many. Your previous prestige and standing forgotten and melted away like the bleak winter snow when Spring arrives."

"Azura, I care not for you pretty words. Simply tell me what I seek that I may be able to ascertain the truth and judge for myself."

Azura smiled and put her mug off to the side, her grin getting somewhat smugger as as she crossed her arms and looked at the Seeker. "The recording you have I believe is the first part to a recording left by either my grandmother or the former High Queen herself. Before she departed this world, my grandmother said that there was two parts to a recording, one video and one vocal that was made by the actual assailant in an attempt to clear their conscience. I of course have no idea how you managed to get one but not the other, primarily because the recording should have been in a Health and Safety vault. Patient confidentiality and such."

"But if it was in the Royal Archives, then it would implicate that the former High Queen extracted her own information to hide it from the public."

"That, I cannot say," Azura responded as she reached back over to her mug. "Though the High Queen was known as a mould breaker, she was not known to rule break. Even going so far as to allow her friend Marie Sonnet to be tried for treason. Tread carefully Seeker. Your shoulders are looking a little frail," she added before taking a drink of her tea. "Worry not. You won't be the first to bear this burden, and you probably won't be the last. However, I suspect the last piece you seek to be in the Health and Safety Archives. Even if High Queen Yuki removed one half from the vault, my grandmother said she would never do anything for personal gain, so the second part is likely still there. Waiting to be found."

"Thank you, Azura," the Seeker said with a bow. As they did, the wind stopped and rays of sunlight began to pierce the clouds. "Is that a sign or what Azura? Even the skies agree that the haze is lifting and we'll soon know the truth of the matter."

Azura chuckled a little as she finished off the last bit of her tea. "And so it does. Soon it'll be as clear as Lake Kristalli and you'll be able to judge for yourself what really happened that day, over fifty years ago..."

The Seeker looked one last time at Azura before departing. She was now looking out the window towards Gerrin Pass. Or perhaps further. Black eyes hidden behind a frame of blue. Looking out beyond what mortal eyes could see, a sigh escaped her lips, perhaps in expectation of the final results they would find once the digging was complete and the truth was made known.
    Mystral
    Mystral

Post by Mystral Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:57 pm

Merle Palace loomed large over the city. Once the centerpiece of the Xelhan Monarchy, it had been abandoned after the Civil War when the monarchy moved the capital to Blizzaria. Though its reputation has long since lost it's luster, the stone walls now housed a different light. In 1960, High Queen Yuki restored the palace and converted it into the Royal Archives. A place where people could come and see the ups and downs of the monarchy of Xelha over the years. In the Great Hall was a picture of High Queen Yuki, with her flight cap next to her Westlandian Flight Instructor, Flip, who had on an orange and blue motif that was similar in design to the queen's top and skirt. Though both smiled in the picture, the Seeker wondered if even then was Yuki hiding something. They would know soon enough as they continued on through to the Information Desk.

Sitting behind the desk was a woman with auburn hair, brown eyes and a thin frame, the same one who had been sitting here the last time the Seeker had come. "Good Day Miss Forte," the Seeker spoke politely as she rested her hands on the desk. "I have come to seek some more information on that item we found last time."

Miss Forte shook her head, "Sadly there isn't much else here. There was the police report and a Chrysanthemum report."

"Well mind if I look at the reports?" the Seeker interrupted. "Perhaps there is something in the folders that people may have missed."

"If you think you can find what fifty years of scanners haven't, you're more than welcome," she said with a shrug before pulling out a box of gloves. "Pick a pair and we can head into the archival room." The Seeker took out a pair and followed the woman behind the counter and into a darkened room. The room felt dry and a bit warmer. In the center of the room was a long table and along all the other walls that didn't have the entry door there were shelves lined with boxes. A lone light illuminated the room dimly, though there was a brighter light on the desk as well as a microfilm viewer. The Seeker went to the table as Miss Forte scanned the shelves for a moment before pulling out a box labeled 'Kolo Deaths 59'.

"Here's the box," Miss Forte said as she put it down gently on the table. You have an hour to look through it all. There is a camera in each corner of the room, one of which is infrared, so don't touch any of the other stuff without staff being here and no taking anything out unless we give you the clearance. Clear?"

The Seeker nodded, "Yes of course."

"Good," Miss Forte said. "Now I'll leave you. If you need anything, there is a blue button on the desk light that acts as an intercom and staff will respond." She then left the Seeker, alone in the room.

"Ah, Xelha, always a bit lax with your archival things, though I guess there is probably something in here incriminating that you'd love to go missing," the Seeker said as they began to remove the contents of the box. Most of the papers were laminated, but somethings like notepads were not covered. First they read the circumstances around the death of the older brother, Alexander. Died of electric shock when the area he was in flooded with water. The autopsy report showed burns along his hands and down the sides of his body. A notation next to it read 'reached for ladder'. They flipped the page and read that no witnesses were present. His sister Katerina had found his body and was later joined by PM Novus and Lady Oz. She recalled what Nina had said, 'Mum said that Sakura mentioned seeing her earlier in the week, which wasn't completely an unusual recollection as both Sakura's parents were involved in politics. What was strange was what Sakura did not see. Sakura says she only saw mum only drink one cup of cocoa.' She flipped through the personal effects of the witnesses and items nearby and there was no cup of coffee. She went to the others and it appeared the same pattern. Novus was the only one present with the exception at finding each body with no cup of coffee. With the exception of the last one, which was Katerina Kolo's in the Throne Room.

"Did PM Novus kill them on behalf of her queen?" the Seeker thought aloud. "But it's true. The last one is probably the only one that is PM Novus because she has a cup of coffee on her being. Someone has impersonated PM Novus. Nome Novus? She was the PM's sister and had been consigned to a mental institution for quite some years post war for her part in the Mysidia Massacre. Could she have snapped a second time to kill the Kolos? No, certainly the Judicial System would have caught her if she got anywhere near the palace or fell off the radar for that long. They went back to the box and pulled out a folder labelled 'Alibi'. Some of the pages were stuck together from being compressed and forgotten for so long. Carefully, they pried the pages apart. They showed pictures of High Queen Yuki somewhere much warmer than Xelha. At the very least there was a beach and no snow. The queen was wearing various dresses, slip on shoes and shades in the different pictures. On the back of the pictures were dates and times the pictures were taken and the time they were put into evidence. On the last picture, there was a notation, 'See Vid 32:16:17'. Could this be the break they needed?

"Miss Forte I think I found something," the Seeker spoke, their voice shaking with anticipation.

"Be right there," Miss Forte replied in a chipper tone. A few moments later, she came through the door and entered the room. "What have you got?"

The Seeker flipped over the last picture and pointed to the notation. Miss Forte squinted to read it before walking back over to the shelves. "That's a pretty good catch. Whoever wrote that was familiar with the archival system. Though it looks like the timing of a video, it is, in fact an library code for the Ocelot Decimal System. 32 for politics, 16 for Logic and 17 for Ethics. Meaning whoever wrote that meant to look for politics, which I assume is the queen, and the logic of ethics for taping something. Which obviously threw others off because they probably looked for a video that was 32 hours, 16 minutes and 17 seconds long." After a few more moments of scanning the shelves, she pulled out a video tape case and showed the Seeker the number.

"32 16 17," the Seeker nodded as they read the numbers out loud to confirm both sets were the same.

"Since no one makes VHSes anymore and these tapes are prone to mildew and mold, not to mention unwinding and a host of other issues, we have transferred it over to digital collections. So pack this up and we can head over to the digital collections to check with the corresponding video."

The Seeker nodded and began packing back up the box. Soon, they would know who it was behind the killings. Everything pointed to a hidden conductor. Perhaps that's why so many had missed it before. But now the truth and their identity seemed agonizingly close. One video away....
    Mystral
    Mystral

The screen began to flicker on in the darkened room. First white, and then a picture came into focus. A figure with an aviator cap and goggles came into focus. The goggles were tinted and hid the figure's eye colour, an orange and white striped scarf. A slightly oversized aviator coat initially made it hard to tell, but when the person shuffled, it became obvious it was a female.

"You need not say your name, but you have agreed to record this under anonymity to clear your conscience of guilt and confess, is this correct?" a voice off camera spoke.

The person nodded. "I've come to confessional to confess something. I want it recorded so that there is a record if someone ever does want to know what really happened," the woman spoke, but it was hard to tell if the recording itself or the scarf around her lower face distorted her voice. The Seeker was not able to recognize the voice, but they held their breath as the pair exchanged information confirming the reason for the recording.

"Since King Ivan's time, the Kolos have been trying to usurp the throne for their own. But that is only making excuses. An ends to justify the means. They harmed a friend, and so we orchestrated retaliation. As with all orchestras, a conductor is needed to keep things in tempo and running smoothly. The four servants left in the palace were red herrings. They knew nothing of the grander scheme, only to keep an eye on Lady Oz and the Kolos. Sir Walter III was put in a secure location to prevent being caught in the crossfire. The liquid nitrogen proved the most difficult to bring in undetected, scratching several areas along the catacombs. If one were to trace the pathway from MACE Chemical underground to the palace there are numerous places where the tank damaged the walls and the floor. If you want further proof, there is a box below the penultimate ladder going into Blizzaria Palace on the waterside. All the keys and tools used were kept there and are still there as no one went back to remove them. The conductor then played their tune, leading each one to their own demise. Alexander to live water, Lady Oz to the Liquid Nitrogen and Katerina to her own misadventure with fire arms. All staged to look like unfortunate events, but all according to the leader of the band's tune."

There was a pause, the woman seemed to slouch a bit, but then returned to her previous posture, "Some may ask if it was necessary, but we believe it was. They were given a mercy and refused to take it, so they in turn received no mercy from us. The band played on, but there was no encore. Just the one performance to set the tone for us to gain a reputation. Someday, they may ask what drove us. And to them I have no excuse for our actions. But we did what we thought was right, and what was best. And that's maybe for the better. Unsung heroes who did the dirty work when no one else would."

The image faded and the room turned back to darkness before the lights slowly turned on.

"Well, that was... interesting..." Miss Forte said as she got up from where she had been sitting next to the player. "Who knew there would be something so valuable in a library code..."

"Indeed," the Seeker nodded as she slowly got up. "So the deaths were not accidents, all we need now is the irrefutable proof. The catacombs seem to be my next stop. If those marks and keys are still down there, it should be verification to their story."

"Why not just ask the Queen Mother directly?" Miss Forte asked.

"The moment I alert her that I'm onto her case, I get in a heap of trouble," the Seeker spoke. "There is no better satisfaction than having an air tight case and presenting it. Then she'll have no other recourse then to tell me the whole truth. And once she does, the rest of Xelha will know as well."

"Even should they paint you the villain?"

"They've already tried," the Seeker said as she headed for the door. "It hasn't stopped me, only made me more determined. Until we meet again."
    Mystral
    Mystral

There exists under Blizzaria a vast network of tunnels that criss-cross around the city. Some are used by the subways, others are used by the sewage, some were used when the utility companies wanted to put wires underground to prevent damage during the odd storm or the more frequent blizzard. And then some, like the ones under Blizzaria Castle, were meant for escape. Coloquially referred to as the Catacombs, they are part of the Blizzaria Palace Bunker network. Yet for all these tunnels that are used, there remain some ever present that remain unused. Or what we should say is unused by those making an honest living. People have known for ages that the unsavory underside of Xelha operates in some of these unused tunnels. How they navigate is probably more landmark memory than actual maps. Which co-incidentally are extremely rare, with only one real complete version existing in the National Archives. It's been said only two people have ever memorized it in its entirety, and both have pictures of themselves looking at it, eyes scanning the giant scroll on the wall, hands behind their backs, perhaps a gentle rocking to keep the feet from going sleep. Those two people are Marie Sonnet and Myrna Evergreen.

There is a joke that the whole reason Myrna Evergreen is the Minister of Transport is because she knows how to get around Xelha the most efficient way possible. And it is her light that leads the way, along the damp, dripping tunnels underneath MACE Chemical. The Seeker following close behind, making sure not to lose her in the underground labyrinth, were escapes are few and far between, and entire stretches look just like the previous stretch.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice Myr. I know you have precious little time on your hands with the upcoming train project," the Seeker spoke.

"Think nothing of it," Myrna responded as she paused to sweep the area in front of them with the light. "I'd be intrigued to know what's down here, since as you know the usual public tunnels stop far off from the palace, I don't get much chance to visit down here." She looked again at the ground and knelt down, seeming to brush some debris to the side.

"Got something?" the Seeker asked.

"Possibly," Myrna responded. She stood back up with a metal shard in her hand and handed it over to the Seeker.

"MACE Chemical 1959," they read an inscription on it as Myrna shone her light on the metal in their hand. "Then that settles it, she did do it by sneaking around underground."

"Well we're still near to MACE Chemical, could be argued it's just random discard," Myrna shrugged. "Let's continue on and see if anything washes up. A lot should be uncovered now that its winter, if you tried this during Spring we might have a bit more running water that would hinder our search." She turned and motioned down the tunnel further. "Keep your eyes peeled for anything shiny, with luck we should probably find a few more signs."

The Seeker nodded and followed. Deeper they went in, to the point where you could no longer distinguish if it was day or night. The duo stopped to check every corner to make sure if any of the corners had been eroded away from a tank strike, or for any other pieces of debris that may have fallen off. Other than when something had been spotted, Myrna didn't say much, not that much else was expected from her. Myrna would never speak during a task such as this, and would simply find the speaking too distracting for the task at hand. There was another reason too. In some of these tunnels one could find human remains. A dumping ground for those who had crossed the dark underworld of Xelha. The Seeker could see it in her head movements, tracking the light, but an ear open for the echoes of other footfalls. Myrna took great pains not to step too loudly on the stone walkway, and on a few occasions stopped momentarily to make sure the echo she was hearing was the duo's and not someone else.

They continued on, slowly until they reached a ladder. Myrna shone her light up and down the ladder, a frown and a furrow across her brow. "Doesn't look like they've used this ladder in a while, its so rusted and falling apart," Myrna spoke to the Seeker. The Seeker moved to get a closer look and it was rusted and dripping with a thin film of some algae or something growing on it. They nodded to Myrna who seemed puzzled as she shone her light upwards to the ceiling.

"What bothers you?" the Seeker asked.

Myrna took a few moments to bring her beam back down towards the ground. "This ladder shouldn't be this badly disused. This should be the one just prior to getting to the palace, the one Tsuyu and her family would use if something happened around Blizzaria Palace and they needed to escape. She paused a moment before putting her hand on the ladder, rubbing it before illuminating her palm. "As I thought..."

"What's wrong?" the Seeker asked.

"It's not safe here, someone has painted this ladder to make it look old and decrepit."

"And you're sure it's not just a safety mechanism?"

Myrna paused a moment and flashed her light in the Seeker's face, causing them to flinch and cover their eyes. "We both know Noriko would never do that. She always has been and always will be a stickler for safety and plans." Myrna brought her light down. "If this is the ladder you want, make it quick," she added as she pulled out her side arm and cocked it. "I don't feel this is no longer as safe as we think it is, but if you need to get something, make it quick." She placed her right arm with the gun over her left arm that held the flashlight pointed ahead of them in the tunnel.

The Seeker hiked up their pants and quickly went to the base of the ladder, which was a small ledge down and in ankle deep slow running water. They felt around the base of the ladder, to see if there was anything there. After a couple of moments of feeling around, the Seeker felt something and grinned. If this was the box she had come for, all this stress would be worth it! They tried to pull it out, but it stopped moving. They yanked on it, but it still would not budge.

"A hand here Myr?" the Seeker asked. Myrna grimaced and groaned before putting the safety on her gun and hopping down to where the Seeker was. "The box is there but it appears to be stuck!" the Seeker exclaimed. "Think two of us can move it better?"

"No, I don't like leaving the flank open..."

"But think of the truths we can uncover with this! It'll be the find of the century to either vindicate Yuki or condemn her and the nation would finally know the truth."

Myrna rolled her eyes and groaned before tying off her light so that it shone directly to the base of the ladder. In the murky water, she could barely make out the outline of the box and a brick or something that was wedged between the ladder foot and the box. She rolled up her sleeves so that she could reach into the water, up and under the cavity the box was in and try to dislodge it. After a few attempts, she got it to loosen its grip on the box and the two were able to retrieve the box.

"Excellent, everything is coming together!" the Seeker said as with a grin as Myrna handed them the box. "Yes. Sooon we'll know for sure!"

"Out! Now! You can gloat about what you do and don't have later."

The Seeker nodded at Myrna's commentary and the two hastily made their way outside of the tunnel system so that Myrna at the very least, would be able to breath freely again.....
    Mystral
    Mystral

Post by Mystral Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:58 pm

There is a saying in Xelha, "Kuni Rutto", which literally Plague of Rabbits. It has a dual meaning, depending on what part of the country you come from. The general consensus of the phrase means "beware the nice ones." Indicative of rabbits often appear nice ad cuddly, but have lead to deadly pandemics and death in the past. The second meaning, which is an offshoot of the general consensus is as a tongue in cheek warning to anyone concerning people taking what they want with little regard for those who maybe hurt in their wake. Primarily aimed at nobles and anyone with high social status. Because just as the rabbit took food from farmlands, causing the farmers to fight back and exterminate thousands, so too do people who have had much taken from them eventually rise up and fight back. The monarchs of Xelha in particular since High Queen Minda abide by the teaching, a good monarch, will be rescued by the people. As with the rabbits who took and were exterminated, some say that's what befell the Kolos. They took much until they were exterminated by the very force they attempted to take. The XLF too attempted to take much and met a ruinous end on the steps of Blizzaria Palace when High Queen Yuki declared them an enemy of the state followed by King Maiku's declaration to outlaw them completely. It was on these same steps that the Seeker found themselves, with a bag containing the box and two recordings which had both passed security.

They had asked to speak with the Queen Mother, Millia Avalon, and were directed to the Palace Gardens. The Seeker found her in the garden, back to her, standing in front of a giant marble swan, with her hands in front of her, rocking back and forth.

"How long has it been old friend since you left me to soar the skies unbound," Millia spoke as the Seeker approached. "Your child Walter VI has grown up fine in the company of Tsuyu, you'd be proud of your little cygnet who is ever the fighter like you were. Soon though, mayhaps you'll have company," Millia ended as she turned to face the Seeker. A somber smile on her face as she addressed the Seeker. "You come to remind us of the past. Or what you believe to be the past. Sadly, like many before you, you have been misguided."

"I have not, it is you who have been misguided," the Seeker yelled as they produced the old box and recordings.

Millia smiled and approached the Seeker, who stood her ground, albeit with a bit of shaking. Millia stopped, about an arm's length and touched one of the recording disks. "I already know what your evidence is. I wish I could say I was crafty enough to come up with it, but alas it was not me. While most did originate within these walls, none of it is from those who have a Walter. However, before your time is up, I ask you to follow," Millia said motioning for the Seeker to follow.

"No, I know how these games end. You wish to lure me inside to finish me off," the Seeker protested.

Millia chuckled, "My dear, Blizzaria Palace is the most watched place in all of Xelha. Aside from the guest rooms and the queen's chambers there are cameras everywhere. If I wanted to kill you, doing so under the watchful gaze of my dearest Walter would be a far better proposition. Besides, I am old and frail and beyond my years of scheming and political intrigue. I leave that to my daughter who is far more apt at Shaki than I am. Now if you wish to know the level of your deceit, follow. If not, then you are free to remain here. However, I warn you the ghosts of Walter is not forgiving to those who threaten their charges."

"Like I'd be afraid of some old spirits and fables," the Seeker scoffed. "No dumb swan, dead or alive, will be able to best me."

"Many have said those words. Many have regretted them. Walter witnessed the demise of the Kolo siblings, and yet there was one other whom many seem to forget. One other people only seem to remember as a passing footnote during High Queen Yuki's Tautohenga. And it is that fine detail that will come back to bite you," Millia said before she walked back into the conservatory of the palace.

The Seeker stood outside, visibly frustrated, taking a look at the giant marble statue, "They think you the protectors of the palace? That's an even more hollow story than the Lumiskyr who protects children. Such things don't exist in this world. Never have and never will." They were then startled by a nearby honking, and jumped back to see Walter VI standing behind them, wings wide apart and chest sticking out and nodding. "You don't scare me." The Seeker said in disgust before following Millia through the conservatory door.

When they got through the door, they found Millia sipping a cup of tea. She put it down on a saucer when the Seeker entered and motioned for the Seeker to sit down opposite them. "Would you like some tea?" Millia asked.

"No thanks," the Seeker groaned. I can smell almonds and that's not a good sign if you ask me. I'm well familiar with the chemicals and biological agents we use around this nation."

"Such a shame, one with so much knowledge can easily be so mislead," she said looking out the conservatory before returning her gaze to the Seeker, folding her hands neatly in her lap. "When one seeks out the truth, they must be able to shoulder a certain responsibility. Yet at the same time not be too eager for their own argument to be true that anyone can present them with a rumour and they run with it as truth. I've heard the stories of the ones before you and there is one large fact you are missing. Your box, where did you find it?"

"In the Catacombs, left behind by High Queen Yuki when she moved the Liquid Nitrogen canister from MACE to Blizzaria Palace."

"While you were down there, could you easily have found your way to Blizzaria Palace?" Millia asked. The Seeker shook their head and Millia smiled at her, "There are only two people who know the layout of the catacombs, they are Myrna Evergreen and Marie Sonnet. Has it ever occurred to you that Marie is suspiciously absent from all renditions of the story? So fixed on the High Queen that you've missed figuring out what happened to Marie." The clock chime rang out five times. "That is all I can tell you for now, lest you be here when Death arrives. I suggest you leave before it gets here."

"You are going to tell me all you know you old hag!" the Seeker yelled before two Chrysanthemum Guards stepped between them and Millia. "Of course you hide behind your pretty slaves when confronted with the truth!"

Millia chortled, "My dear child, it is because of their presence that I cannot simply have you executed. Threatening a member of the royal family is still a serious crime even if I am no longer queen. But be on your way. Death will arrive shortly if you tarry much longer."

"From who? Tsuyu?"

Millia laughed again as she headed for the door. "No, much, much worse. Though I cannot blame you for thinking my daughter, and she has played her part marvelously, she is not the conductor of this orchestra. Don't believe me, ask these lovely people to escort you down to the Blue Line Tram. It won't be there because Tsuyu rode it out to the airport to board a plane to Cyanisse. But again, I remind you that your hour is nigh and it's probably easier for you to leave whilst you can before Death finds you." She then left the room with a wave.

"So you aim to repeat the circumstances of yore? The queen allegedly out, but secretly still stalking the castle waiting to kill her quarry," the Seeker muttered. However, their curiosity had been stoked and they asked the guards to take them to the Blue Line Station. The guards happily obliged and when she got down there, it was as Millia had said. The tram was not there. But if Millia was telling the truth, that Tsuyu truly was abroad, what demon was stalking them? No, they shook their heads. There is no such thing as supernatural. Everything has a factual answer. Everything could be calculated, so what had they miscalculated for?

They wouldn't have to think long. In rapid succession the guards escorting them fell to the ground. The Seeker looked around but saw nothing. An object whizzed by them, a dart? Lodged into the wall behind them. They turned to run away in the only place they knew was safe. Through the currently empty Tram Tunnel.

"You make this interesting. Let's see how well you remember your walk with Myrna," a voice chuckled as they retrieved the darts before disappearing down the tram tunnel at a pace slightly faster than a leisure walk.
    Mystral
    Mystral

Post by Mystral Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:59 pm

Xelha, much to some of the purists chagrin, has always been a nation of diverse backgrounds. Though some names have been around since inception, others have more recent origins in Xelha. Many Xelhans can trace part of their ancestry to many places, but particularly to the other Lapidian Nations like Westlandia, Helidara, Isilanka and Carida. You need only look at the name registry on any school to realize named have become a mix-match of the cultures and ancestry found in Xelha. Helidara in particular stands out as a close friend where many Xelhans have come from. One such case is that of Marie Sonnet. The eternal friend and constant shadow of High Queen Yuki. The soldier from Helidara who arrived in Xelha to help Helidarans escape the escalating Xelha Civil War. Befriended by the future queen herself and became a trusted aid and ally. Despite their difference in country of origin, the two fought for the same nation, Xelha. And with their combined strength, they brought a nation out of war and into an age of prosperity. Yet for such a glowing personality, Marie gets mentioned very little post Tautohenga. She is not mentioned in the Kolo Twins death, nor is she mentioned in Yuki's wedding, though archivists have her signature as a witness on the wedding certificate. So what ever did happen to Marie? Perhaps she became the next Lumiskyr, her spirit forever watching over Yuki's bloodline. Friend in both life and death.

The Seeker grabbed one of the flashlights in the nearby maintenance box as they headed down the tunnel. It should be a straight tunnel to the airport, since it's used only in emergencies. They then recalled Myrna's warning when she felt uneasy, to dim the light so as to give away their positions. So they ran with the light set to a low beam.

Clank.... clank.... clank.... They heard the sound of metal on metal, though it was hard to determine from which direction the sound was coming from. They turned their light off and began to sprint ahead. They had evidence against the monarchs and now something was after them to take it away. No one or no thing would take away this victory they had waited for. They would lay the name of High Queen Yuki low and raise up a new name in their stead. But first they'd have to lose this.... person... on their tail. They then began a full sprint forward, continuing to run along the tracks for a few minutes. After which they slowed down, a little out of breath and they listened for the previous clanking sound. They paused a moment and grinned as they no longer heard the sound. They stepped forward when they felt a breeze... and a voice.

"Running from your past will not help your future. For once the present is done with you, you'll need a lot more than a few sutures."

The Seeker froze and looked around. They panned their light all around, searching for the source of the voice.

"Lahti, always with his calculations. Taking into account all sorts of permutations. Perhaps had he instead read a history book, he'd understand where it was best to look."

"Show yourself demon!" the Seeker yelled.

"Demon you say? Is that what passes for etiquette in this day? Life is but a play, and we, nothing but the future's segway." A light flashed down from above as the voice continued, "The spotlight shines down one final time. Our lead performer's actions to this point sublime. Take of the mask that weighs you down. That the audience may know you and smile or frown." The Seeker looked upwards and the light was filtering down through a manhole cover. They stepped back out of the light and began to run once more along the tracks. The airport couldn't be much further. "The segments of the catacombs looks the same, so bored and sad. Maybe that's why those who often come down here often wind up dead."

It then occurred to the Seeker that the earlier clank may have been the shifting of the rail tracks. Had the person pursuing him changed the tracks? But the only person with that type of authority would be Tsuyu. "Tsuyu! Come out and show yourself! I know what you're doing! You're making fun of me running in circles!"

"Oh my my my. You're quite the funny guy. The queen is currently sky high. Unto Cyanisse she is drawing nigh," the voice taunted. "Though if you must know, she did put on a convincing outfit did she not? Though you walked right past the correct one, perhaps you forgot. The outfit in question was from the Alpestre Mountain. From the seventies from a man named Harkin. From whom Azura's family had been known to engage with some snowy skylarkin."

The Seeker gave pause before shaking their head. No, they had not overlooked such a trivial thing. The person in the video was High Queen Yuki's confession! This voice they heard in their head was nothing more than just that, a voice. They stopped shaking their head and stepped off to continue forward.

"Lahti is not a common name in Xelha. Daddy once said it more sounded like Laki, which was a bit more of a sinister fella. Heard if from his mother to beware of them. As they acted often times without much things other than a want of a gem. And so said so done. You tried to lure in Tsuyu and then Nicholas with the promise of fun. So give up Matti, then at least it will not be too messy."

It was then, that Matt Lahti realized his fatal mistake. No one knew the tunnels except Myrna Evergreen and Marie Sonnet. Tsuyu had a roommate named Erika. Erika Sonnet. Marie Sonnet's granddaughter. He felt a sharp stab in his leg and looked down to see a dart with black and white fletchings, a hallmark of the Helidarans. As he bent over to pull it out, he fell over forwards, as the feeling in his legs disappeared and it collapsed from under him and he landed on the tracks with a thud. He heard footsteps approaching and attempted to shine the light in the direction he heard them coming and soon saw feet. He panned up the person's legs, and on her waste sat two sheathed khophesh. He continued up the torso and up to the head to reveal Erika Sonnet's face, in a smug grin, her hair tied back behind a bandana. He followed her as she stopped and stooped down, just out of arm's reach.

"Mother used to tell us the story she heard from her mother of how some of the elites in Helidara would sit, watch and observe. Their interactions with the people so very full of verve. But the guilty knew why they were there. Something had been stolen from a place they held dear. And so they'd show up, in plain sight. To the innocent they were alright, to the guilty they brought a fright. Their handwork, one of most awesome sight. And so we keep an eye on the palace. For anyone who would bring unto our friends any form of undue malice. Never hiding, but remaining in plain sight. Never in flight, but ready to fight. And so I orchestrated this, to encourage you to play along in complete bliss."

"All I need do is call for help! Certainly those soldiers in the palace would hear me and catch you."

"No," Erika said coldly as shot a dart at Matt's left arm. "The only thing they will catch is what remains of your chalice. As you add to the myth of the palace. One more body found in the ground of Blizzaria Palace. A body belong to those who bore the palace malice. So as your performance comes to an end. The lights turn out and the curtains descend. Their dark, prospering days at an end. But worry not my friend." She got up and began to walk away before finishing off her thought. "You won't feel an ounce of pain. Only the regret of knowing that you failed to entertain. That one final time on stage. When you failed to be anything but sage."

"Get.... back... here!" Matt wheezed as Erika walked off. She hummed a tune as she removed the two khophesh from their scabbards. One significantly more worn than the other, though it may have just been that his light gleaned off the one in her right hand's metal more and clanged them together, making the sound he had heard earlier. Hearing the sound enraged him more. No, it couldn't end like this. He had the evidence! He wanted to reach out and draw Erika back, but it felt as if she was getting further away, her light dimming in the distance, the sound fading away. He wanted to try cough, but his hands soon fell away as he lie there on the tracks. His eyes closed, though his mouth remained open, no words came out as his breathing slowed to a stop.

And so, later that day, you all know what happened.

Matti's body was discovered a few days later by the guard after he disappeared from the palace. On him was discovered XLF propaganda attempting to frame High Queen Yuki. A hollow imitation at best in one of the videos, with a box containing several everyday tools. The origins of neither were able to be tracked, though many suspected a ploy by the Numeria Inquirer or the Roses of Nirvana. The official cause of death came back as TTX. A poison usually found in certain fish, and a side effect of improper preparation. And so his death was ruled 'accidental'. But as with the Kolos before him, superstition would mingle with science. That perhaps somewhere on the palace grounds there lived a vengeful spirit that protected the monarchs whom the people of Xelha loved.

Fin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 5:52 am