The Fridge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where no man has dared enter, lest they risk losing their mind.

2 posters

Meeting of Tyrants

Captain_Frosty
    Captain_Frosty
    Admin

Meeting of Tyrants Empty Meeting of Tyrants

Post by Captain_Frosty Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:12 pm

Thunderous noise echoed through the open runway as a lone, luxurious plane took off.
    Within it, a pair sat in a comfortable suite.

"I see. So this is not really a mission."
    One said, a young girl with vibrant amber eyes, her black, white and light blue dress serving as a secondary reminder of her royal status; the first being her characteristic flowing white hair.
    "Then why are we even on this mission, mother? I was under the impression that both the confederacy and our realm are in need of our guidance so why do we waste time on business trip without business?"

The second person, Empress Aphelia of the Umbra Regium, sipped on a cup of tea calmly before answering.
    "Even the most powerful tools and machines need maintenance, surely you've heard this before. But even without that fact, it the simple truth that my duties have kept me at a significant, almost dangerous, distance from outside happenings. With that in mind, what better place to visit than Old Ras, the nation of gossip given human form?"
    "That seems. . .shortsighted, in my honest opinion." The princess answered, prompting a semi humourous sigh from the empress.
    "Maybe with age you'll understand, my dear Anthela, that Communal chatrooms are neither the only nor even the best source of info."
    light-hearted laughter ensued as the plane approached it's destination.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Meeting of Tyrants Empty Re: Meeting of Tyrants

Post by Jovan Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:03 pm

The city of Ephinoe Tyngeia, the southern of the two strait settlements of the Rasian empire, was a pearl set into the peninsula on which it sat, surrounded by grass and green that stretched into hills and mountainous desert, it is the primary settlement of the southern straits. Forming a state along with its sister city of Augusta Gadeira, the capital switches between these two on a yearly basis, a sign of equality. One of the most important Rasian naval bases, a full third of the Hearth fleet is stationed near the two cities at any given time. Quiet and separated from the rest of the mainland, the two cities have enjoyed a relatively peaceful existence, despite the civil war, as they were secured by admiral Hanno, and thus kept away from the conflict.

Though still very much Rasian in culture and style, the two cities never had the massive palace complexes found throughout the other states, the market and central city's loud song gives way to the tranquility of the hinterlands, where the Imazani herds graze, unaffected by millennia of change. Dispersed throughout are small estates where dates and other such fruit are grown for local consumption, a local delicacy of its people.

This is where the Imperial residence of the elected governor of the city comes into play. After the exchange of several diplomatic niceties it was requested a quiet place be chosen for this meeting. Naturally everyone in the city knew it was happening and of course thus the media, though the city cared little for the visit of the leaders of some far off country. The use of this transparency rather, is to elicit a reaction from those with actual interests in this, be they friend or foe.

And so the two representatives of their nation were lead from the hustle and bustle of the city to the outskirts, rolling fields of grass stretching out to greet them, grazing herds visible in the distance. The transport stopped at the large seaside house of the governor, well large for a house anyway, compared to other Rasian residences the word "small" and "lacking in gold trimming" would come to mind. Surrounded by an orchard through which the car had to pass, it stopped at a large fountain. The fountain depicted a man, nude save for a Corinthian helm. Two women stand beside him, one handing him a sword and another a shield, while a dead man lay at his feet. Jets of water envelop the entire scene, rising and falling, making arcs around the central figure, while carved dolphins skirt the edge of the fountain.

A man dressed in a formal robe of bright orange with gold trimming, took his hat off as he approached the visiting pair, "Good guests! I greet you in the name of our humble city, and welcome you to my household, and indeed i hope you find yourselves wanting for nothing. As host, it is my modest responsibility to give you thanks and welcome for coming here, as well as to lead you into my abode. Amenkad has arrived already, though i fear the weather has not agreed much with his constitution, so i led him into the viewing room, that the cold air might raise his spirits. My attendants shall take you to him", he gestured towards two masked figured behind him, "For i have urgent business in the city that must be attended to within my official function."
    Captain_Frosty
    Captain_Frosty
    Admin

Post by Captain_Frosty Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:52 am

"We thank you for your generosity and welcoming. Though it is a shame you cannot join us, I hope we find the opportunity to make up for this unfortunate circumstance in the future."
    Aphelia's formal tone carried a solemn air of honesty as she motioned to the masked men to lead the way.
    In the meantime, Anthela took note of her surroundings.
    Though few would admit it willingly, the sights Old Ras had to offer were unique, sights even the most jaded eye would appreciate.

"Truly, 'fashion over form' is a phrase most befitting of this land even at it's most humble examples.."
    The princess subtly commented to her mother.
    "Everything has a time and a place. Ras has rarely been much of a militarist nation, focusing on their culture more than anything. Besides, the nation in it's whole is made of around seven different of 'these lands' to choose from so do not be quick to judge."
    ". . .understood."
    with calming silence following the exchange, the pair made their way to their destination, led by the masked men through the beautiful residence.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:43 am

Tapestries decorated the walls, starting with herds and geometric patterns before becoming more detailed the further in one got into the house. Climbing up a set of stairs, the hallway leading to the "viewing room" was decorated in tapestries woven of gold and silk, depicting an entire event. First a man was depicted with his wife and daughter, the next seen showing him being crushed to death by a giant much like himself, the giant taking his wife in the next tapestry followed by a depiction of her and the now grown daughter standing next to a boy, before girding him in armour, a more detailed account of whatever the fountain was meant to represent.

The masked attendants opened up the door, leading them into a spacious room, the cool air of immediately hitting them. This despite the stone arches looked onto the sea, the viewing room meant for leisure above other things, the crashing of the waves echoing in the distance.

"Amenkad, Tafuyt d Ayyur." an attendant extended a single hand, lowering themselves to one knee as they gestured towards the figure that lazily sat between one of the arches staring out towards the sea, decked from head to toe in black and, once their head turned, masked, an intricate thing of metal decorated with a swirling pattern, something one would either describe as ominous or most strange. The figure stood up, taking the pillow it had been leaning on and throwing it at the head of the attendant, "We talked about this. Creator Iften."

"I am Tiyya, radiance." the figure responded, not rising up.

"Well did Iften talk to you about this?"

"No, radiance." the attendant replied, emotionless.

"Well throw that at him twice for not telling you and tell him to tell you."

"Thy will be done." the attendant picked the pillow up before leaving the room without turning around, the Emperor of the Rasians sighing and holding a gloved hand to his mask before turning towards his guests, as if they had only just now appeared.

"You look tired. Do you want to lie down?"
    Captain_Frosty
    Captain_Frosty
    Admin

Post by Captain_Frosty Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:30 am

A polite yet subtle bow was performed by both Empress and Princess as they finally reached their host.
    "Greetings, Tyrant of Ras. I appreciate you accepting our request to visit even more so considering the rather benign nature of this meeting"
    The Empress spoke lightly, her tone respectful but not nearly as formal as it had been before, lest she be met with the same fate as Tiyya.
    "That said, I must sorrowfuly turn down you offer. If I lay down now I doubt I would have the strength of spirit to ever rise again."
    Aphelia continued, provoking a concerned look for her daughter who'd been standing in relatively stiff silence so far.
    Though she'd met with leaders of nations before, this was her first time meeting the planetary oddity that was the Rasian Emperor in person.
    Her behavior was responded to with motherly headpat, a sight unseen by the public eye.

"It feels like every day you give me another reason to worry about you, mother."
    "Now now, I'm not that old yet, I can still maintain myself just fine.
    But enough about that, how have you been, dear host?"
    Aphelia said, re-railing the subject with the subtlety of a tactical missile.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:50 am

"Host, me?" the figure laughed, "It would be ever so impolite of me to impose upon the governor, for despite his absence this is his home. Or perhaps i host because this nation is mine?" He sat back down on the edge bellow the arch, the musing overtaking him, "One would have to consider that deeply. But to answer your thought. It is. So. Unbearably." He leaned back over the edge, his knees the only thing keeping him from an unfortunate plummet to the ground bellow, "Hot!" he pulled himself back up, "I love the sun but must it be so warm at times? Still, i've only feinted like once from the heat so to answer your question in the relative stance of things i am better than i was but not as good as i could be. That and they let me bring my cat along and he does calm me ever so much with his little face. But we're not here to speak of cats, are we?"

The figure rotated on the edge, his legs dangling and his back turned towards his guests, "You requested i meet with you. Hanno wants to bet money on wanting help with the insurrections, the Agorans think you want to convince us to accept the third world country that is a part of your confederacy, the Mizdakites and Agitators are split on the matter but are willing to listen at least, for Soh Jin's sake and Dragutin is playing it safe and says you are merely testing the waters and preparing for what comes next, "scouting" as it were. All know there is always more to the re-affirming of the treaties than meets the eye, though who doesn't?"

He leaned back again, this time towards the two, his mask upside down and his hod not falling off, most likely tied to the mask in some manner, "So which is it? If you do not mind me asking of course. I'm mainly interested because watching these guys react to being wrong is the best. Great fun all around." he looked at them, still upside down, awaiting a response.
    Captain_Frosty
    Captain_Frosty
    Admin

Post by Captain_Frosty Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:56 am

"If the incorrect assumptions of your retainers bring you joy then you will be far more than happy."
    Aphelia said as she took a seat across the emperor, confused princess at her side.
    "As you know, my official purpose here is to discuss our already agreed upon trade rights and restrictions, a matter which realistically need not be discussed in more intensity than that of a few Emails between our retainers and maybe a picture of a stamp."
    She said almost dismissively, pausing for a moment to appreciate the view provided before her.
    "In truth, this meeting may as well be about cats. I tire of the endless bickering that seems to consume our fair Union nowadays and seek to regain my touch with the world outside of an unusually busy desk warehouse."
    "Mother!"
    The princess piped up in a tone completely undecided between inoffensive and protesting, earning a chuckle of seeming satisfaction from the Empress.
    "Really, of all the times you chose to be overly formal you picked the worst.
    I thought the refreshing demeanor of our host, the wonderful planetary oddity known most commonly as 'his radiant shining starlit brilliance' would have made that clear by now."
    She added with a mild smile.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:13 am

"Ah so you've joined those of us who have lost their mind in the quagmire!" the Emperor laughed giddily, "Here's hoping your daughter one day reaches the same heights. Or would it be lows? Either way here's hoping the impression of a buzzkill disappears." he raised himself up looking at the sea, "I am also tired." he turned serious for a moment, "More tired than i think a person can be. Or should be." A moment of silence ensued, the crashing of the waves the only thing breaking it, "I like your answer, it is not one i will tell to the factions, as one reveals their heart i allow it to not be seen. Should you want a serious answer to a serious question i will give it to you freely. A way of saying this diplomatic mission has borne fruit. Though i can not promise i am all knowing, or even correct, if you have something serious, ask it of me. Also if you want to discuss signing new trade agreements, i've been incessantly poked by the factions to see that come to fruition, though out of courtesy i leave the decision to you."

"Also i guess i never did ask for your names. The birds like to tweet them but that's not polite now is it?" he went on, merrily dangling his legs off the edge as he hummed a tune.
    Captain_Frosty
    Captain_Frosty
    Admin

Post by Captain_Frosty Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:35 pm

With a polite and formal bow befitting of true royalty, the princess spoke first.
    "I am Anthela 'Aphelia' Noctine, Crown princess of the Umbra Regium and descendant of the near ancient Noctine bloodline. I would like to personally thank you for accepting us into you nation as well as for the courtesy you have shown thus far."
    Her tone was both genuine and formal, a mix of pleasant innocence and refined aristocracy.
    A moment of silence, almost long enough to be awkward but not quite, took place as the Empress looked at her daughter with the unhidden pride only a mother can show before following suit.

"I am Aphelia 'Thorodin' Noctine, Rulling Empress of the Umbra Regium, descendant of the Noctine bloodline and daughter of the 'First Tyrant'. I wish to similarly express my gratitude for your generosity and accepting behaviour, especially in these troubled times where bullets seem to be more common than manners."
    She added, her voice carrying the authority of a true ruler yet elegant enough to fully express the benevolence in her intentions. Still, a trained ear could easily notice the hints of exhaustion in her words, results of a decade long rulership with no signs of respite in sight.

"Now for a question. As I said, I am not here for anything serious, but since you have given the offer, I would like to ask your opinion on the rebels of the Umbra Empirium. Please keep in mind, I already know the official stance on the matter. What I wish to know is your personal opinion on the two factions."
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 pm

He was quiet for a long time, staring into the distance as the wind began to blow through the arches, enveloping all in its embrace, "A long time ago, before the first flame lit and civilisation began, man roamed these lands unfettered, unbound by home and hearth and word and stone. The oldest gods were worshiped, beings of earth and blood and sky.

At the very cusp of civilisation the Sun waged war against his sister the Moon, for he sought order, a single truth, an end to stories and fragments, the beginning of something more. Of broken heart his sister fled, and the sky was engulfed in shadows, the stars the only thing keeping darkness at bay, and the fertile lands between the Swift and Copper became scorched and dry, the valley now barren, the land almost dead.

Yet the old gods were still there, and in them the people of the land sought salvation. Two nymphs, creatures of divine beauty, ephemeral and unending, made their home at the summit of the mountains from which the two rivers sprang. The people learned that a tear shed of truest grief would bring back the rivers, and save countless lives from starvation.

And so their plans were made, for the sisters had a brother, yet unlike them he was mortal, young and daring. For others he would give of himself willingly. To protect his sisters, to keep them safe, this clumsy boy would face the Blazing Sun. A passing voice, sent by the villagers upon the wind, encouraged his wanderlust, and he set out into the wilderness. He would prove himself to his sisters."

Another moment of silence, the wind grew stronger, the scent of the ocean blanketing the room, "He died in that wilderness, the first thing he faced, wolves, tore him to pieces, his body left uneaten and shattered amidst the craggy rocks.

A hero found him, or maybe it was heroes, or a villain, or the one who sang this tale. As they climbed to the summit of the mountain the winds tore at them, the beasts of the land fought them ferociously and the rocks fell upon them like a raging storm. When they finally reached the summit, all was at peace, the clouds were far bellow them and all around them was the Moonless sky, the lonely stars lighting the night as best they could. They found the sisters there, waiting for their brother. As they learned of his fate, one of them shed a single tear. The wind carried it until it struck the valley bellow, yet all that arose was none the less dust."

He turned to face them, his head gazing upwards, "You can't win. You won't." he still stared outwards, onto some great and distant thing that only he saw, "There is no such thing as true evil in this world, and there is no such thing as being right. Do not stare at one consumed by rage or ignorance or idealism and think him just that, or something less, no matter his cause. They are all people, different yet the same."

"The only way they can all win is if they all lose."
    Captain_Frosty
    Captain_Frosty
    Admin

Post by Captain_Frosty Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Silence followed the Rasian's speech, almost menacing considering the words just spoken.
    Yet before an atmosphere could be formed, the silence was broken by Anthela's voice.

"That sounds very nihilistic coming from you." the princess commented on mixed skepticism and curiosity.
    "You claim that their only hope of success lies in a combined defeat, the fall of all three current governments vying for power, yet that is not true.
    The moment the confederacy or any other nation picks a side, the others may as well sign their death warrants. Annihilation does not need to be the solution for peace to return!"
    She spoke in a lively tone, her composure almost slipping into passion.
    Meanwhile, her mother stood in silence, a raised eyebrow serving as proof that she herself wanted to see were the girl was headed with this conversation.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:10 pm

"Is that what you took from my words?" the Emperor asked, tilting his head to the side, "Need they be defeated to lose? And what is true loss? What is the cost of victory? Is it worth any price? How will you win? When they all lay dead before you? When all is burned to ashes? Whose victory matters and counts?" he leaned against a pillar, "Am i talking about their victory, or did i speak of yours? And what is loss? Need a loss be crushing to count? Must they all suffer truly to lose or falsely to win? You think of three groups killing one another, of people as numbers. Yet what happens to the people bellow one if either loses? Will ardent supporters of their red party be allowed to live? Would someone who supported the oligarchs truly suffer no consequences for his actions if the others came to him, when you are, by your own laws, against interference? And if the democratic faction ends up being inverted on its feet, as so many nascent movements are, or loses because, as you say, someone annihilates them, do you think the people who wanted liberty would be left alone? Do you think in this case any of them, in the eyes of the pragmatic, could be left alone? Think not of the war, but its aftermath, and ever the people who suffer beneath it. Unless ideology and pragmatism matters more than lives to you?"

He stood up, dusting himself off, "Think on my story, who was wrong, who was right, and who was at fault. Simply understand that in modern times, there is no true victor in wars, short of facing down someone who is so close to being inhuman they are beyond description, where even then you do not win, you do what is necessary. Winning need not imply victory, and losing need not imply defeat."
    Captain_Frosty
    Captain_Frosty
    Admin

Post by Captain_Frosty Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:25 pm

Silence consumed the room once more, this time it's full effect unhindered as the princess simply stood, a mixture of perplexed frustration and awe on her face.
    The empress, meanwhile, was busy sipping on a cup of tea with no apparent hint as to it's origin.

"Really, I know trying to outspeak a Rasian, let alone their illustrious Emperor, is more or less impossible but I expected you to at least last more than a single verbose response."
    she said, taking another sip as a poor way of hiding her mischievous smile while Anthela's features formed into a pout.
    "I. . . he's not saying anything special, it's just 'war has no winning side' with extra words-"
    "Then why have you no witty retort?"
    "LOOK, IT'S-" The princess stopped, nearly putting a hand over her mouth as if to manually lower her voice.
    A calming sigh later, Anthela composed herself once more and spoke.

"I. . .apologize. My age still holds a grip on my emotions despite my education and I can fall to unbecoming behaviour despite my better judgement. My intended point was that, while true, the story and general message is one that does little to inform one of a real solution, choosing to simply brood over the issue instead."
    With her opinion voiced, the princess once more sat, her head slightly lowered in a clear show that she'd rather remain silent for the time being.
    Aphelia, as such, looked to their Rasian host, mild expectation in her eyes.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:13 pm

The Emperor tilted his head to the side, starring oddly at the girl, "Aren't you like one year younger than me?" he turned on his heel, hands behind his back, "Your mom doesn't seem to care about your age, should you? Or are you doing that cute thing where people use that as an excuse when they catch themselves revealing something they prefer to keep hidden?" he chuckled, "People are weird."

Moving up to the balcony's edge again, he leaned against it, hands still behind his back, "As for my story, you can choose to see it like that, war is indeed bad and everyone loses, though don't you think that's a bit too direct an approach? There's more than one way to interpret stories, and there's more than one way to lose and to win, so why not think on it? Lifetimes of thought go into moments of action, so another lifetime or two won't be that bad." he pushed himself off, "After all, it's but a pinprick of eternity."

Walking towards the door he continued, "You see it as win/lose, if you all lose then it must be bad. War is loss therefore loss is unavoidable and you should do nothing is what i meant and therefore why not only say that?" leaning against the door he stared upwards, "Must the world be so dull and grey that there is only one path forward? You can fight for one of the factions, you can fight for yourself, or the people or some other fourth thing." he turned towards her, "Compromise is a loss everyone can tolerate. If you want to win, all of you. You have to lose. And yet to give too much away is to loose and set that compromise towards failure, merely delaying everything. You have to find a way that makes everyone lose so everyone can win. And if someone is unwilling to compromise? Those bellow them always are, the further you go, the more you'll find."

"I find you to be strange, little babbling brook." He seemed to have coined his own name for the younger of the pair, "I ask you humour me and think on the tale, and not just the one conclusion you got from it. Who was right, who was wrong? Surprise yourself." he turned around and and looked at her mother, "Though is your tea appropriating mother the lake, the sea or a cat who got into the cream? Speaking of!" he clasped his hands together suddenly and loudly, as if a grand realisation had struck him, "I'm going to go feed my kitty! Shall we discuss an agreement between our nations while i feed the little guy or after? And do you want to see my cat? He's got the most adorable little snout!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:47 pm