The Fridge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where no man has dared enter, lest they risk losing their mind.

2 posters

Red makes Black

Jovan
    Jovan

Red makes Black Empty Red makes Black

Post by Jovan Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:47 am

Of all the nations that currently exist, only one would anyone dare to describe as "respected" by Old Ras, and that is Helidara. The closest thing they have in their mind to ethnic kindred, the land of Helidara stretches from Tmry to Ifri and south until the source of one of the two rivers that create the Great River. Ceremonially their rulers are the only ones who are included within the confines of decorum, as all others are considered illegitimate, though of course beyond ceremony and tradition this goes nowhere, for the sake of sanity and Old Ras not being the most diplomatically isolated nation on the planet.

Sitting in the front row of the spectacle that was the civil war, unlike the Vaherians who invaded, Helidara chose to remain neutral, though this did little to damage Rasian opinion of them, untrustworthy as they are of intervention. Just the same they were included, along with the rest of the world, in the policy after the civil war which encouraged a lull in diplomatic activity until the Restoration was properly initiated. Now that the war has passed, it remains to be seen how the closest thing they have to an ally near the mainland will attempt to handle the situation.

Which is what the current visit into the old capital was about. Considered the most important city in Vitelia, the capital of the old Vitelian empire and the one thing the Vaherians desire to conquer above all others. In this act perhaps one would note that in the negotiations there was a certain care to offend a particular party, which was further compounded by the request that one person attend the negotiations specifically.

The person in question is Philip Dragonian, the bastard son of the brother of Charles, the leader of Esdragon and a Rasian woman. One of the most hated figures within Vaherian upper echelons, he is the recipient of quite a few failed assassinations at the hands of his "uncle", though he is still not of age. As the ward of the dux of Vitelia, perhaps the second most hated person after the Emperor in Esdragon, it was decided the dux would represent the interests of the empire, much to his chagrin after having been forced to bring his ward along at the request of the visiting dignitaries.

The old capital is a large and sprawling metropolis, one lacking in skyscrapers(a decision of the local councils) and as venerable as it was ancient. From ruins more than two millennia old to temples and palaces which the elite of the city have been building up since the city's founding and can be found dating from at least the last ten centuries, it holds a special symbolic value within the Rasian hierarchy, being one of the hexarchy capitals, where a patriarch of the Creator religion resides, as well as the old capital of Vitelia. And yet it is not nearly as important economically or politically as the other cities such as the new capital in Haemia or Ur-Nelam, what with Vitelia's regionalism only giving it a symbolic primacy.

The meeting would take place in the Aula Ducale, the official residence of the Dux when he is present within the old capital. A building from the late 17th century, built after a fire destroyed the old one, it is done in the Vitelian revivalist style, emulating elements from both old Vitelian and eastern Vitelian architecture. The inner courtyard glimmered with many mosaics depicting sea life, cornucopias and ancient gods in the eyes of the artists, a gigantic fountain forming a cross shape as it divided the courtyard into four sections. After being welcomed into the residence, the courtyard was where the Dux was presented to the Helidaran pharaoh, the leader who personally chose to perform this diplomatic mission.

Aemilius Velthur was an older gentleman, in his late sixties, skeletal yet imposing in station. Wisps of short silvery hair crowned his balding head while he waited, dressed in a traditional military uniform for an officer of the militias, ceremonial sword at his belt along with a gun. Behind him stood a boy of darker skin than his, black haired and brown eyed. He was young, head cast downward and eyes glued to the floor, more in the manner of a servant than anything else. A masked attendant in robes of white and black stood to the left of the Dux, head bowed down in a similar manner in deference to the one they served, though it was unlikely the boy kept his head down out of decorum as the attendant did.

"I greet you, leader of our erstwhile kin." the Dux put his closed fist to his heart, "In the name of our people be welcome, though we greet you in dire times. You have come to restore bonds, and prove your honour by not breaking our agreements. Though we know you not to be fair weather friends, i still thank you none the less."
    Helidara
    Helidara

Red makes Black Empty Re: Red makes Black

Post by Helidara Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:07 am

Yorshka, attending the meeting in a sable black suit, reciprocated the Dux's greeting with a bow, as did the older man in red beside her, who spoke soon after rising. "I'll be acting as my Lady's voice for this meeting, should you need to address me, 'magus' shall suffice. You have our thanks for meeting with us." Yorshka quickly signs something to the man, and he returns to speaking. "She wishes to affirm that the weather is lovely, as is the city and this building specifically.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:18 am

"Of course, servant of the leader of our erstwhile kin, i thank you for your assistance." Velthur opened his palm and dipped it forward, "And i thank you, noble leader. I am glad that the darkened mood of our beloved capital does not overtake its splendour, as i am thankful to the gods for the clear skies, i would read the skies for portents were i a more superstitious man. None the less i hope the goddess is kind towards us this day, and that the negotiations proceed without issue. Shall we proceed?" the man gestured towards the entrance before a cough from the attendant next to him halted him.

"Yes", Velthur clenched a fist to his side, though his face betrayed no emotion, "I almost forgot. As per your humble request", he outstretched his right hand, "I present my ward, Philip." The masked figure turned its head towards him, his left hand still clenched, "Dragonian. Due to lack of adequate guardians, this young man has been placed under my tutelage until he is of age."

The young man shuffled forth, closed fist to his heart mirroring the greeting of his guardian, "I...I greet thee, noble leader of our erstwhile kin. M-May the gods favour you and your people, and may fortune favour our deliberations this day." he shuffled backwards as his awkward introduction finished, head still lowered to the floor.

The moment was quickly taken over by the Dux, "We are hopeful that you found your request fulfilled properly. Now, shall we?" he gestured towards stairs that lead upwards once again.
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:51 am

Yorshka nodded her head and moved toward the stairs, however the Red Mage with her let his gaze linger on Philip. I don't recall any such request being made, certainly not by Yorshka. "...Thank you for taking the effort to meet the request, but..." His mind turned to where the request could have come from, but rather quickly realised that the only possible option would be the Vizier, which made almost too much sense. "...Nevermind. My deepest apologies, I let my concern for her Highness take over my mind. There should be no further such interruptions." Finishing with a bow, he moved to join Yorshka over by the stairs.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 am

Velthur eyed the man for a moment, before turning around and going up the stairs, followed by his ward, the attendant waiting for the visitors to follow before moving behind them. Ivy vines carved into the columns snaked their way upwards, forming composite columns as the sun reflected off the white surface of the marble and giving the entirety of the structure a kind of glimmer.

The rest of the structure was done in the typical Tyrsennian style rather than the ones typical for the region of the old capital, moving from orange to black to white and several colours in-between, giving the entire building an earthly yet regal look. The floors themselves were decorated with more mosaics, usually depicting dolphins dancing, mimicking the more complex work of the central courtyard.

The room in which the negotiations were to be held had many a tapestries hung, depicting people with names sown in next to them in ceremonial garb, lit by not just the window that led to the outside but also by the light fixtures which clearly pointed to a newer addition. A round, lacquered, oaken table in the center of the room denoted the place of the meeting, several chairs organised around it. Velthur waited until their guests took a seat, taking a seat opposite the young pharaoh and with Philip sitting to his right. The attendant stood to his left, hands held together and head lowered. Several stacks of paper were already on the table and ready, but Velthur did not touch them.

"I trust that you have more to ask, noble guest, than merely the re-affirming of old treaties. Please speak, and know that all that is spoken here is taken with greater consideration than the words of any other foreigner, no matter who has to take the role of your voice."
    Helidara
    Helidara

Post by Helidara Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Yorshka started signing. "Whilst my lady's main purpose of her visit is the re-affirmation of the treaties which have benefited both of our nations since their initial signing, she has, indeed, come with a proposal." Shifting through her bag for a moment, she withdrew two sets of papers and placed them on the table, one within reach of Velthur, the other in front of herself. "These documents outline the proposal in its entirety, but in short, it involves the expansion of our nations' cultural protection program to cover natural locations of interest as well.
    Jovan
    Jovan

Post by Jovan Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:38 pm

"Oh?" the man looked over the document, reading it in detail, "I do not think there is much issue with extending the agreement in such a manner. Be aware though, that due to the recent troubles that have plagued us, just as with cultural heritage sites, our budget will require time to adjust appropriately. While we spend our time rebuilding we can only rely upon our shared emergency budget in most cases, while providing only for the most bare necessities in regards to them. While we spend time rebuilding, we are grateful to you for the patience you provide us with. Once the issue has been resolved, the Empire shall be able to once again properly invest into maintaining and valuing our cultural heritage, as well as yours."

"In regards to that in fact." Velthur motioned to the attendant who took out a stack of papers from a cabinet, "We were hoping that, considering the current situation, you would consider further extending our infrastructural connections. The basic deal itself concerns connecting our power grids, and thus allowing a greater ease on the burden not only upon each other but allowing us to aid one another should an issue arise concerning said section of the infrastructure. Within that there have also been questions of updating and further expanding the highways and roads between us but this is much more up to you than any compromise. Considering how stretched thin we are, we would only do this if you believe it to be profitable and proper."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 3:20 am